Monday, June 20, 2011


I love the OUAT Challenge. Any excuse to read fairy tale, fantasy, myth and folktale based books is good in my book (pun not intended). there were a variety of different challenge options as always and this time I went for a mix of Quest the First and Second. I specifically read five books for the challenge and tried to do one from each genre (although myth and folklore are hard to distinguish at times) and mix up the formats I read.

1. Baba Yaga Laid an Egg - Dubravka Ugresic (folklore/mythology)
2. Return to Labyrinth v4 - Jake T Forbes & Chris Lie (fantasy)
3. The Young Merlin Trilogy - Jane Yolen (folklore/mythology)
4. Howl's Moving Castle - Dianna Wynne Jones (fairy tale)
5. Fables v12 The Dark Ages - Bill Willingham (fantasy/fairy tale)

I loved all of them and can't pick a favourite. Book two was a beautifully drawn manga and book five a trade paperback. The first a mix of fiction and non fiction and books three and four young adult. I haven't written most of the reviews yet, but promise to do so in the near future and add them to the review site. I can heartily recommend all five to anyone who loves this challenge for when (it had better run again...) it happens next year.

As the challenge covers genres I love, most of the other books I have read for other challenges could also have been slotted nicely into the challenge. Here are some of my favourites :

Fairest of All - Serena Valentino (fairy tale)
The Safe Keepers Secret - Shannon Shinn (fantasy)
Fables 13-15 - Bill Willingham (fantasy/fairy tale)
Darkest Mercy - Melissa Marr (urban fairy tale)
Storm Glass - Maria V Snyder (fantasy)

Bring on Once Upon a Time VI already!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

5 comments:

Carl V. said...

It seems like it will be forever until number 6, but March 21st will be here before we know it! :)

Thanks for participating. Kudos to you for mixing it up and getting into all the genres. I am so far behind in my Fables reading. Makes me feel ashamed. I have all these lovely single issue comics piling up every week! Gotta find some time this summer to get up to speed.

Kailana said...

Glad you had fun!

You may want to make a slight change to your post. You have re Jews instead of, I assume, reviews... Unless it is a trendy thing that I am unaware of... :)

Rhinoa said...

Carl - Good to hear it will continue next year. Definitely catch up on your Fables, they get even better the more you read!

Kailana - Thanks for the auto correct pointer, all changed now. May go back to writing on my pc as its quicker but it was a fun experiment (the truth is it's a new secret trndy thing I wasn't supposed to let the world know yet shush).

Cath said...

That's an interesting mix of titles you've read there. I haven't heard of The Young Merlin trilogy so will check that out. Howl's Moving Castle I've just seen the Japanese movie of... I thought it was brilliantly done.

Susan said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed Howl's Moving Castle (I just reread it last year. I've been looking for Yolen's Young Merlin Trilogy for a little while now. I just read Fables: Wolves and LOVED it, so if the Dark Ages is anything similar, I'm there! Our library only has two of the books right now, though. I'm glad you had so much fun with this challenge this year, you did better than I did with the 5 categories!