Monday, November 01, 2010

RIP V Challenge Wrap-Up

The RIP V Challenge has just finished held again by Carl V with full details here. I decided to read a minimum of 4 books over mystery, horror, dark fantasy etc and I met my quota. What I haven't done yet is get around to writing any of my reviews. It's been a busy few weeks with travelling and then starting a new job, but I be back on top of things (hopefully) by the middle of this month. Anyway, back to the challenge, I read the following specifically foe the challenge and will put up reviews soon :


1. The White Cat - Holly Black (horror, fantasy)
2. Shakespeare's Counsellor - Charlaine Harris (mystery)
3. Undead and Unfinished - MaryJanice Davidson (urban fantasy, vampire chicklit)
4. Brody's Ghost v1 - Mark Crilley (ghost story manga)

I also read a few other books during the challenge that cross over to other challenges :

5. Undead and Unwelcome - MaryJanice Davidson (urban fantasy, vampire chicklit)
6. Shakespeare's Trollop - Charlaine Harris (mystery)
7. Lucinda, Dangerously - Sunny (dark fantasy)
8. Ruined - Paula Morris (teenage fiction, ghost story)
9. Wicked Lovely - Melissa Marr (teeenage fiction, dark fairy tale)
10. The Queen's Curse - Emma Harrison (Charmed tie-in novel)
11. Living with the Dead - Kelley Armstrong (urban fantasy)
12. Buffy 8 v7 - Joss Whedon etc (horror graphic novel)

Of the four books I read specifically I really enjoyed them all, but at a push would say I enjoyed The White Cat the most. It was Black's first adult novel and I liked that it still had teenage characters but was nice and dark. I'm looking forward to the second book in the series coming out. Of the other books I read I really enjoyed Wicked Lovely, Living with the Dead and Ruined. I bought Ruined while in New Orleans and it is set in one of the cemeteries there which I had visited in the Garden District which made it seem more real somehow. I can't wait for next years...!

4 comments:

Chris said...

OMG I didn't know that Ruined took place down here!! I must get it now :D And you shall indeed get a point for it...finally... :p Miss you!

Alice Teh said...

Congratulations on the completion of the challenge! :D

Kris said...

Congrats on finishing the challenge! One of these years I'll actually do this challenge..each year I think about it, then decide not to.

Darla D said...

Wow, you did read a lot for the challenge this year! Thanks for the mention of The White Cat - I just put it on hold at my library.

Btw did you get my email? Let me know if you want me to send you those books. I'm happy to. :)