Tuesday, September 07, 2010


Rating : 5.0/5
Number of Pages : 448
Series : Companion to Oryx and Crake
Format : Fiction Novel
Reason for Reading : 10 10 10 Challenge

This novel is set alongside Oryx and Crake with events leading up to the predicted Waterless Flood. Adam One leads the peaceful group The Gardeners who do not eat meat and work for the preservation of the land in a time where science and technology rule. Gene splicing it everywhere and people often get there looks changed as well as creating new animals like liobams (lions that have qualities of lambs). We meet Toby who works for SecretBurger (who knows what meat is in the burgers) looking for an escape from her sadist boss Blanco. Adam One rescues her and although she begins not believing the philosophy of The Gardeners, she makes a life with them and becomes a respected member and teacher (she has a good knowledge of herbs and medicines).

We also meet Ren, a young girl growing up with The Gardeners after her mother ran off with Zeb leaving her father behind in one of the scientific projects. Ren is an innocent little thing and we meet her when she works in Scales and Tails, a high end sex club. We see the paths that both women’s lives took them before and after the flood. We also see Crake before he becomes Crake and Snowman and it was fun figuring out which of the amazing cast of characters they would turn out to be.

Typical Atwood style of writing with the story jumping around in time and alternating between Ren and Toby as storytellers. I cannot tell you how much I loved this book. I got really into Oryx and Crake and thinking back I can’t decide which one of the two I like best. The characters were well rounded and I really wanted things to work out for the two very different women. Ren who manages to stay innocent despite where her life takes her and Toby who stays strong against all adversity. The ending was as annoying as Oryx and Crake with it ending seemingly mid story. I can only hope this means Atwood will come back to it and write a third novel at some point.

5 comments:

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

I have this one and have yet to read it. I still have onl read one book by her.

Lightheaded said...

I'm so looking forward to getting my hands on this. I loved Oryx and Crake to bits! Also, Atwood :)

Hannah Stoneham said...

This just sounds fantastic - I am also a bit Atwood fan. Thanks for sharing a great review!

Hannah

Aida said...

Lovely collection! Lucky you and how I envy you :)

jehara said...

I received this for my birthday this year. I so loved Oryx and Crake. I nearly forgot I had it until I read your review.