Friday, September 24, 2010



Rating : 4.0/5
Number of Pages : 285
Series : #7 Queen Betsy
Format : Urban Fantasy Novel
Reason for Reading : Vampire Series Challenge

Betsy is back and still the Queen despite multiple efforts to kill her. This time the Ant turns up which is made more annoying as she is a ghost and only Betsy can see her. Usually she has some task to help the ghost perform before they can move on, but in her usual annoying style the Ant refuses to tell her what that is.

The main story follows the Fiends though. They have gotten out and have become conscious again because Garret has been feeding them his blood secretly. They are not happy bunnies though and blame Betsy for their treatment despite her trying to explain that she has in fact saved their lives multiple times. They want her dead (what’s new) and are powerful and violent enough to possibly pull it off. Also Detective Nick Berry is also not helping by deliberately putting her in danger trying to find some rogue cops who are killing the criminals that have been let off for lack of evidence. Nick wants to catch them by conventional means, rather than murdering them even if they are guilty.

This is the first in a new plot arc and I am still stunned by the ending. Not one but two of my favourite characters seem to be gone and I keep thinking that Betsy can save them but it seems not possible. It was funny, but it did have a lot more depth to it than the previous ones in the series. I’m wondering what scrapes Betsy will get herself into next.


Rating : 3.5/5
Number of Pages : 236
Series : #8 Queen Betsy
Format : Urban Fantasy Novel
Reason for Reading : Vampire Series Challenge

After the ending of Undead and Unworthy Betsy and Sinclair need to travel to meet with the werewolves to discuss some political issues. They take baby John with them, but there is a strange vibe with the werewolves. The pack leader doesn’t seem to notice him or be aware of his existence and another seems really angry he is there. Betsy is being held accountable for the events of Undead and Unworthy and has to answer to the werewolf council. This of course doesn’t go as well as planned, but Betsy goes along with it out of a sense of guilt.

Meanwhile back at the mansion, Mark is home alone with Tina until Betsy’s half sister Laura (the daughter of the devil. No really) pretty much moves in. She has always rebelled against her mother by teaching Sunday School etc, but she is predicted to cause the end of the world. Strangers start showing up at the house having followed a star and they want to worship her. Mark tries to help but sets Laura off on a whole new tangent and perhaps the end of the world isn’t so far away now…

The series has begun a new story arc with the last book and in comparison to the first set they are a lot more serious. I’m not sure yet if this is a good or bad thing. What I really loved about the early ones were how funny and frivolous they were. The light hearted elements are still there, but they are fewer now and the focus is more on the storyline than the pithy putdowns and banter. I did like it overall and I will definitely keep reading them, but I do miss the earlier tone.

4 comments:

Kailana said...

I read the first book in this series a long time ago. While I think it is a fun series, it is not something I HAVE to continue with and there are a lot of series I love, so I sort of stalled on this one. One day I might read the whole thing...

Marg said...

I have only read the Fred books from this author. Whilst the first of those were amusing, but the end of the trilogy it was less so.

I am just not sure that MJD is the author for me. In person she is really funny and high energy to listen to, but I don't know if that is enough to make me want to read more from her.

Maybe one day.

Darla D said...

That's interesting about the change in tone. I am on the fence about continuing with these at the moment - I'm taking a little break. I will be interested to hear how you feel about the next book!

Kris said...

I keep meaning to start this series. I actually have the first book already. It sounds like the first ones are definitely worth it...I'll be waiting to see your thoughts on this new arc and if it's worth continuing the series.