Thursday, September 09, 2010

Two Terry Pratchett Books


Rating : 3.5/5
Number of Pages : 480
Series : #31 Discworld
Format : Fantasy Novel
Reason for Reading : Series Challenge 2010

This follows on nicely from Going Postal. Moist von Lipwig returns with a new challenge. He has been getting bored running the post office as things are running very smoothly. He has even taking to breaking in when darkness falls! Vertinari gives Moist the chance to work running the bank. He has to defer to a dog though when the former owner dies and the dog has the majority shares. The problem is the members of the great banking family the Lavishes all want to be in charge and Moist is definitely in their way.

Meanwhile Adore Belle Dearheart is off looking for the fabled golden golems and things take a very interesting turn when the results of her diggings arrive in Ankh Morpork. The usual side characters make small cameo’s like Angua, Carrot, CMOT Dibbler and DEATH. It is mostly led by new characters though apart from the wonderful Vetinari who I still think deserves his own novel.

This was lots of fun and sees Pratchett on fine form. I like Moist and Adora as characters and it was good to see someone else besides me want to emulate Vetinari! I loved how Cosmo’s story wrapped up and it will be fun to see which characters are in the next Discworld book. Plus the new Tiffany Aching novel is out soon. I wonder if this will be the next one to be made into a television adaptation.


Rating : 1.5/5
Number of Pages : 480
Series : #32 Discworld
Format : Fantasy Novel
Reason for Reading : Series Challenge 2010

The wizards take centre stage for the part of this tale where the Unseen University has to put together a foot-the-ball team as part of a behest. There are lots of teams around the city and they play by dangerous rules where the crowd gets involved. The Patrician uses his usual manipulating skills to set up his own rules in the end and the university take on a team full of shady characters just out of the tanty (prison) mixed with legitimate players. Ridcully is concerned as the former Dean has joined a new university and claims to be their Archchancellor and as everyone knows there can only be one.

The other storyline revolves around Glenda (a cook in the University who runs the night kitchen), her apprentice Juliet, Trevor Likely and Mr Nutt (work with the candles). Juliet is beautiful and becomes a model of micromail made by the dwarves (she has to wear a fake beard). She defers to Glenda who is like a big sister to her. Trevor’s dad used to be a famous foot-the-ball player and he has sworn never to play despite his talent and he falls hard for Juliet. They support opposing teams though so it’s a little Romeo and Juliet. Mr Nutt is another mystery and is labelled a Gnome but is something completely different it turns out.

I wanted to like this book but I really didn’t. I don’t like football so the general plot didn’t appeal to me. Plus the final match is commentated on kick by kick. Reading it was even more dull than watching a football match. I don’t really like the wizards and the only character I really warmed to was Glenda. The puns were pretty rubbish and I so nearly abandoned finishing it so many times which is nearly unheard of for me. I know there are a lot of die hard fans out there, but this was definitely a miss for me.

3 comments:

Kailana said...

I haven't even really read this series. One day I will, but huge series are just impossible for me at the moment!

Marg said...

I just finished reading Wyrd Sisters which I loved! I am slowly working my way through the series. Some I have read before, but most of the others are new to me.

Sorry Unseen Academicals didn't work for you.

Aarti said...

I didn't love either of these books. I love Terry Pratchett, but these two weren't my favorites. I recently started reading the Tiffany Aching series, though, and really enjoy those books! I also love, love, love the Guards books :-)