Sunday, August 29, 2010


Rating : 5.0/5
Number of Pages : 265
Format : Teenage Fiction Gothic Horror
Reason for Reading : 10 10 10 Challenge

The latest teenage fiction novel from Brit author Marcus Sedgwick. This is his take on a gothic novel and I couldn’t put it down! Rebecca and her father move to the country for the summer after there is some media controversy over his involvement in a police case. In the sleepy town Winterfold, which is slowly falling into the sea, she meets the troubled Ferelith.

In between the modern storyline we are taken back in time to a Priest in the 1700s who is seeking the secret of life after death. A Doctor from France moves in to the Hall in town and the two put their heads together to come up with a series of horrible experiments to try to communicate with the dead and find out if there really is life after death and what it is like if so. The Priest fears for his mortal soul as he can picture Hell in great detail, but his imaginings of Heaven are lack lusture and seem fake to him.

The story jumps between the two sets of tales as they interweave. The narrative moves from Ferelith to the unnamed Priest to a look at Rebecca and they slowly all converge across the centuries. Ferelith is such a sinister character and when I finished reading this in bed I have to admit to flicking to the end to check how it ended. I was scared I would have nightmares and wanted to see it turned out ok! Very naughty I know and I can’t remember the last time I did that. It’s my favourite of his books yet and I can’t recommend it enough. Subtly building I really felt for Rebecca and there were still so many questions buzzing around my brain long after it ended.

9 comments:

samantha.1020 said...

This sounds really good!! I've never read anything by this author but it looks like I should check him out. And I love creepy gothic novels...great review!

Alice Teh said...

Thanks for introducing a new author to me! This one is interesting and although I'm not too fond of horror tales, but this one piqued by interest.

Amanda said...

Darren from Bart's Bookshelf reviewed this recently and it sounds awesome! Glad to get a second confirmation.

Ladytink_534 said...

I don't remember hearing of this before. Glad you liked it though!

Darla D said...

This sounds great - maybe a good RIP candidate! Thanks for reviewing - haven't heard of this author before.

mariel said...

ooh! you know how i love mr sedgwick ;)

Darla D said...

I just finished this one - wow, was it creepy! Really good. I'll have to check out more of his books. Do you have any recommendations?

Rhinoa said...

Darla - I recommend My Swordhand is Singing for a different take on vampires.

Darla D said...

Thanks! We have that one at my library, so I'll put it on my list. Is it creepy, too?