Friday, August 20, 2010


Rating : 2.0/5
Number of Pages : 312
Format : Fiction Novel
Reason for Reading : 10 10 10 Challenge

The narrative alternates between Roseanne’s personal testimony as she approaches one hundred and Dr Grene who runs the asylum where she was placed a number of years ago in her twenties. Roseanne tells her life story growing up with a mother who was also committed after her father died. She gets married to a Catholic despite being a Protestant in Ireland during dangerous times of unrest. There is a priest who does what he thinks is best for Rose, but his motives are questioned.

Dr Grene has his own problems. The home is being demolished and he is approaching retirement. There is not enough room in the new building for all of the patients and recent press forces him to look at if any of the patients were wrongly committed. Rose’s case is intriguing and he begins to try and question her to see if he can make alternative arrangements. Her version of events differs somewhat from those recorded in the old files.

I was very disappointed by this novel. There is a big twist, but the problem was I guessed the twist in the first couple of chapters and was annoyed that it was so simple and I was correct. I am not sure I would read more by this author as things stand.

1 comments:

Nymeth said...

Oh no, I'm sorry this was such a let down :\ I actually have it on my tbr pile - I'm completely dumb when it comes to guessing twists, so hopefully I'll have more luck than you did :P