Tuesday, August 24, 2010


Rating : 4.0/5
Number of Pages : 177
Series : Prequel to Peter Pan
Format : Children’s Fiction, Fairy Tale Novel
Reason for Reading : 10 10 10 Challenge

This was written after Peter Pan but is a prequel. There is lots of information and anecdotes about Kensington Gardens in London as well as the story of Peter Pan and how he came to be the boy who never grew up. There is a story about how prospective parents ask the birds for a child and that is why children think they can fly as they were born as baby birds.

Not all of the stories feature Peter Pan, the first half is a series of short tales about the different sights in the gardens and some of the children who have visited. It also talks about Barrie’s visits with the children to the gardens and I am ashamed to admit that while I have been living by London for nearly 10 years I still haven’t been to the gardens. I really must go and see if the monuments and sights have changed much since Barrie’s time.

This was beautifully illustrated by Arthur Rackham with over 50 full colour illustrations plus many pen drawings and this was how I found the book even existed. It was funny, sweet and makes a lovely collection to anyone’s library.

A couple of illustrations from the book :






4 comments:

Chris said...

OMG I have got to get this one! I just love JM Barrie so much and Arthur Rackham's illustrations are some of my all time favorites. Sounds wonderful :)

Nymeth said...

I LOVE those illustrations (as the fact that I stole my header from them indicates :P).

Ladytink_534 said...

Oh I've never read this! I've been thinking of re-reading the original book though so I'm adding this one to my list as well. I love all things Peter Pan :)

Alice Teh said...

What an interesting book! And beautiful illustrations too!