Thursday, August 05, 2010


Rating : 4.0/5
Number of Pages : 272
Format : Fiction Novel
Reason for Reading : Reading Challenge with Nymeth 2

Miles starts a new boarding school and makes friends with the Colonel and Alaska Young. He has a penchant for memorising the last recorded words of famous people. He led a lonely life before joinin Culver Creek and although he isn't one of the popular rich kids, he makes close friendships and finds his own place. They form their own small gang and enjoy pulling pranks on their fellow students.

There is a before and after section but I won't say why. All I will say is that it is a pivotal point in the book (it's not really a secret and is alluded to on many occassion but still) and it leads the boys on to looking into the mystery of Alaska. Miles gets the ironic nickname "Pudge" and pretty much immediately falls in love with Alaska. She is so out of his league though and has a serious boyfriend. He dates another girl Lara for a while but it is doomed for failure.

I really enjoyed this novel. It was very like Catcher in the Rye but more modern. The characters were really well developed and I enjoyed spending time with them all on their adventures and pranks. It's a coming of age novel with heart, sex, drinking, sadness and the exploits of youth. It got some negative feedback due to language and sexual content which I think is unjustified. There was nothing out of the bounds of the ordinary that I could see really happening. I look forward to seeing if they make a film version which I think is due for release in 2013.

4 comments:

Alice Teh said...

I definitely want to read this one. I have read another review of the same book a moment ago. This is like a sign I should get on with it already. LOL

Nymeth said...

So... who's Alasks then? ;)

Seriously now, I'm so glad you liked it! And yes, this does very much have a Catcher in the Rye vibe to it.

Darlyn said...

I never read anything form john Green but one of my friend really brag me to read this one. Nice review!

Kris said...

I ended up reading this one last month as well. I thought it was great! I'm luckily in that I didn't' read any reviews of the book first, so nothing was spoiled for me.

I had no idea it was going to be made into a movie! That's pretty exciting.