Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Juliet Naked - Nick Hornby


Rating : 4.5/5
Number of Pages : 256
Format : Fiction Novel
Reason for Reading : 10 10 10 Challenge

Duncan is obsessed with American musician Tucker Crowe. He was best known for his album Juliet Naked which is allegedly about his affair with model Juliet. Shortly afterwards he was visiting a club to see some bands perform when he suddenly left and disappeared from the public eye not writing so much as a note since. The online community Duncan is part of has dedicated vast amounts of time to discussing Crowe’s disappearance and when a new version of Juliet is released it sends the little community into overdrive.

Duncan’s partner Annie doesn’t take to the new demos and it puts even more of a strain on their relationship. She posts her own review for the community to read after Duncan writes one that praises it sky high. Hers is less complementary. Unbeknownst to Duncan she receives an email from Tucker and after a couple of questions it seems to be genuine. From there begins a friendship that spans the globe and destroys many of the preconceived ideas and stories about Tucker as Annie gets to know the real story in secret.

This was a look at relationships, music and parenthood. The usual dry wit you associate with Hornby. I like that the story switches between the three characters narrating, mostly Annie and Tucker, so you get to read their own different takes on the situations that arise. The ending was lovely and just what I secretly wanted without being cheesy or corny. I can’t wait to see what Hornby writes next.

5 comments:

Vanessa said...

Sounds like a good one! I'm definitely gonna check it out.

Ladytink_534 said...

I've never read him before. This one sounds interesting though. I don't really like a dual narrative too often though.

Chris said...

I want to read this one so bad! I got it out from the library...read the first 20 or so pages and then had to return it :( I was so upset. I liked what I read though!

Nymeth said...

I need to read this soon. It seems he can do no wrong!

Alice Teh said...

I'm going to check out this one. I like the premise. Thanks for the review!