Saturday, August 28, 2010

Austenland - Shannon Hale


Rating : 5.0/5
Number of Pages : 208
Format : Fiction Novel
Reason for Reading : 10 10 10 Challenge

Jane Hayes has a problem, she is secretly obsessed with Mr Darcy from Price and Prejudice. She is in her 30s and single when her great-aunt dies who was quite well off. Her aunt knew of her predilection and instead of leaving her money, leaves her a holiday in an English country manor where everything is set up as in Regency England.

At the manor there is another guest and Jane can choose her name as well as what age she wants to be. She sticks with her own identity and is excited to meet the actors playing the ladies and gentlemen at the manor. Included is Mr Nobley who plays the pride filled Darcy role. Jane can’t settle into her role and is attracted to the out of bounds gardener (ladies don’t associate with the help). Can she let go and be swept away in the story, or will she keep her walls up and not really enjoy the experience.

I loved this so much! Such a fun idea for a story and although the ending was a little cheesy, it was just what I wanted. It’s very different to her other fairy tale Bayern books, but that’s just the mark of a great writer that they can turn their hand to different styles. No one is quite what they seem and at the end the true characters emerge in a really fun climax.

5 comments:

Darlyn said...

The story sound lovely and quite interesting.. =)

Alice Teh said...

This one does sound fun!

Amanda said...

Sad to say but I hated this one. It was one of my worst books of 2009. I hated the gay stereotyping and it was far more vapid than I expected.

Ladytink_534 said...

What a cute idea for a book and it doesn't sound like fanfic like a lot of what I've heard lately with Austen-like books published in the last few years. I'd love to live in a Wonderland-type place...

Darla D said...

I had no idea this was the premise for Austenland - it sounds like so much fun! I will try it. :-)