Monday, August 09, 2010

Ash - Malinda Lo


Rating : 4.5/5
Number of Pages : 304
Format : Teenage Fiction, Fairy Tale Novel
Reason for Reading : 10 10 10 Challenge

I picked this up in an airport travelling for work as I really liked the cover. It was in the teenage fiction section and in a retelling of Cinderalla. The book follows Ash after her mother dies. Her father is in a lot of debt and tricks a rich, vain woman into marrying him. She mistreats Ash though and after her father dies she becomes their slave. Her mother was linked to the fairy folk and Ash tries to keep up with the old customs even after moving into a more modern house with her step mother and step sisters.

This is where the author starts to have more fun and inject her own ideas onto the traditional story. Ash does meet the prince, but he is never really the focus of her attentions. Instead it is the Kings Huntress, Kaisa who she is drawn to. She also has much to do with one of the male fairies and there is a curse that is uncovered as the plot unfolds.

This was a lovely book and it was so refreshing to read a story where the main character is attracted to a woman and not following after the prince. There is no issue of her liking someone of the same sex, no fuss is made and it is not dwealt on, merely part of the story. At a bonfire couples pair off and there is a mix of men and women as well as woman and women couplings again with no issue made of it. It felt like a mature way to tackle the story and I would recommend this highly to anyone. One of my most enjoyed books so far this year and I am so glad the cover was pretty enough to catch my eye as I might have missed it otherwise.

5 comments:

Susan said...

I have had this on my to-find list for almost a year now, and I still can't find it! Somehow missing it, though now i'll start checking the teen fiction section. Your review makes me really want it now, too, Rhinoa! I've missed you, I'm glad to be back :-)

Alice Teh said...

That's a pretty cover I must agree. I've read a couple of reviews of this book. I like the storyline.

Ladytink_534 said...

It sounds like a very unique take on the fairy tale. I adore that cover.

Amanda said...

I enjoyed this book too!

Darla D said...

I just finished this last week (but I'm soooo behind in reviews). I loved it! Such a refrshing, creative twist on a traditional fairy tale. Glad you liked it, too!