Wednesday, June 16, 2010


Rating : 4.5/5
Number of Pages : 384
Series : #1 Percy Jackson
Format : Teenage Fiction/Mythology Novel
Reason for Reading : Once Upon a Time IV Challenge

Percy Jackson has moved from school to school and is finally in a boarding school where his favourite subject is Latin. He is not doing so great and when a fight breaks out on a field trip it is the last straw. Percy isn't all he seems though even if he doesn't realise it. See in the old Greek stories the gods were not exactly faithful to their partners. Many came down to earth and had children with mortal men and women. Percy never knew his father and it turns out that he is a modern day half blood. His mother is mortal and his father is one of the Greek gods, as yet undisclosed.

Percy is beset by monsters who also realise his true heritage. His only option is to race to Camp Half Blood here he meets up with two people from his former school. There he meets a series of other half blood children and teenagers with different talents. Not all of the children know who their godly parent is, they need to be claimed and Percy has no idea who fathered him. Once he finds out he sets out on a quest which will stop the gods from causing a war that will impact everyone on the planet.

This was a lot of fun and a great idea for a series. The gods were done very well and a great range filled out the story. The only thing that put me off was I listened to it as an audibook and the narrator had a really annoying way of pronouncing some of the words! I will definitely be continuing the series soon.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I really enjoyed this one but I don't think the rest of the series lived up to it. :(

Andi said...

I loved it too! I have Sea of Monsters on my stacks and ready to read!

Ladytink_534 said...

I still haven't gotten around to reading the last one but I love this series.

Coffee and a Book Chick said...

I absolutely adore this series! Couldn't put it down!

Darla D said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this one. It's my 11-year-old daughter's favorite series of all time. :-)