Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Rating : 4.5/5
Number of Pages : 57
Format : Fiction, Poetry, Mythology, eBook
Reason for Reading : 10 10 10 Challenge

An interesting book that is prose but reads like poetry. It follows Psyche through her life interposing it upon Greek myths. She begins starring in her fathers violent and explicit films. A victim of abuse she finds it hard to let herself be loved. She makes her own choices, but these are not always the best ones and she loses her main love when she listens to the advice of others.

The tale comes full circle as she later has a daughter of her own and watches her make the same choices she did. It's like she is following her own footsteps through life, but she has to let her daughter go her own way like she did.

Mature themes and concepts, this is a short read but one that will stay with me for a long time. I love that she blends in the mythological aspects which is an interest of mine. I will definitely be reading more of her books in the future. I wonder if any of her novel mirrors her life as some of the characters reminded me very strongly of certain famous people.

4 comments:

Hannah Stoneham said...

This sounds like an intersting and rather tragic read... I would be interested to see how the mythological elements are fed into the story. in an odd way that I can't quite explain your post reminded me of Orlando by Virginia Woolf.

fascinating post -

Thank you indeed for posting

Hannah

Andi said...

I read this one a while back, for a read-a-thon, I think. I loooved it, and I've read much more Block since then. Most recently I really enjoyed Pretty Dead. All of her books are mature in theme, but they're so floaty and pretty somehow.

jehara said...

I read this one a couple of years ago and swallowed it whole. I've been a fan of Block for years. I think I own nearly everything she has written. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Darla D said...

Oh, I love Francesca Lia Block! I haven't read anything by her for ages. This sounds great!