Sunday, April 25, 2010


Rating : 4.0/5
Number of Pages : 505
Format : Fiction Novel
Reason for Reading : Challenge with Nymeth 2

Kafka is the assumed name of a 15 year old boy from Tokyo who runs away from home. His mother left him with his father when he was a young boy taking his adopted sister with her. His dad left him with the Oedipus prophecy that he would sleep with his mother and also his sister. He has no real memory of what his mother or sister look like so has no idea how to avoid this.

Enter Nakata. He is also from Tokyo and now an old man. When he was a child he was involved in a strange incident during the war which caused him to slip into a coma like sleep. When he woke up he had lost the ability to read and write and lost a lot of his wits. He had been a bright young student so no one really knew what to do with him. He is happy though making his own way through life plus he can now talk to cats.

Both indivually set out on an adventure that will bring their purposes together, Kafka to escape his father and try to discover himself and Nakata to follow what he instinctively knows but cannot explain. Along the way both meet an interesting mix of characters from cats to fictional characters to people of confusing gender and a ghost.

It has taken me a little while to put my thoughts together on this one. I loved the story telling, you are really drawn in and absorbed into the storytelling. The characters (in particular Nakata and Hoshino) were engaging and somehow despite the supernatural elements it was highly believable. My only issue was with the ending. There were so many puzzles and questions raised throughout the book that weren't really answered. I love a good mystery don't get me wrong, but a little resolution would have been good.

3 comments:

Alice Teh said...

I have this book in my TBR and wants to read this soon. There are just too many good books waiting to be read! Thanks for the review!

Amanda said...

This one really scares me for some reason. Actually, everything by this author scares me...

Darla D said...

I find books that are too open-ended and leave too many puzzles unsolved are very unsatisfying. Not that things need to get wrapped up in a tidy package, but still, some resolution is nice! I tried to read this author's Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, but I just couldn't bring myself to care about anyone enough to read more than a hundred pages or so. Oh, well!