Thursday, April 08, 2010

Green Angel - Alice Hoffman


Rating : 4.5/5
Number of Pages : 116
Format : Teenage Fiction, Fairy Tale
Reason for Reading : 10 10 10 Challenge, I love Alice Hoffman

Another beautiful tale from Alice Hoffman who is known for mixing reality and fairy tale. Green has always been a quiet child, nothing like her beautiful sister who shines like the moon. Her mother taught her all she knew about growing and planting to the point where she now has more knowledge than her. On market day she is disapppointed to be left behind looking after the house and garden while everyone else goes off to trade. She doesn't realise how lucky she is when a fire destroys the city and everyone in it, including Green's family.

The ashes nearly blind her and instead of healing herself she lets them. What use has she for seeing now her family are gone. All she has for company is her sisters dog and she decides to be Green no longer. She begins to ink her skin with thorns, bats and ravens as she tries to leave the past behing. She puts nails in her boots and becomes tough to protect herself from the scavengers around her. She retains some kindness though and befriends a dog, some birds and her elderly neighbour as she struggles to cope with her new life. One day a stranger turns up who helps her discover another side of herself.

Such a beautiful story, a true modern fairy tale. A must for anyone who loves to get caught up in a magical story.

3 comments:

Andi said...

I just love Hoffman's writing, and I haven't tried this one yet. I've been itching for a good book to pull me in and really get me involved, and this might be just the one!

jehara said...

I have this on my bookshelf and if you can believe it, I've let it sit there for awhile. Kind of savoring the few Hoffmans I haven't read.

Darla D said...

This sounds fabulous - I have been meaning to read more of Hoffman's books. I'll add this one to the list!