Wednesday, February 03, 2010

The Struggle - LJ Smith


Rating : 4.0/5
Number of Pages : 237
Series : #2 Vampire Diaries
Format : Vampire Fiction, Teenage Fiction
Reason for Reading : LJ Smith Reading Challenge, to continue with the series

Elena, Stefan and Damon are back in their vampire/human triangle. Stefan is missing at the start of the book, injured and possibly dying after his fight with Damon. Elena decides to take on Damon in a bid to find Stefan and drive him away. Bonnie is still having visions and foretells Elena's death connected with a bridge. Something is going on with Meredith's family, but it looks like it won't be revealed until later in the story.

In the meantime Caroline and Tyler have formed an alliance in a bid to bring down both Stefan and Elena. They have plans for the Founders Day celebrations which involve Elena's missing diary. Elena has kept it all hidden from Stefan, but now he is about to be chased out of town it's looking like time to come clean. At least about some of what has been going on...

This book can't really be read without having read The Awakening first as it starts exactly where it leaves off. So much better than the first one. Much more original and I love the battles between Elena and Damon. She is very brave to stand up to him. The secondary characters like Bonnie and Meredith are some of my favourites and I am interested to see the repercussions after the ending which was very dramatic!

6 comments:

Andi said...

You're making me want to re-read!

~Jennifer~ said...

I agree. You must read the first one, but the Struggle is way better than the Awakening. Great review.

Ladytink_534 said...

My library finally got copies of this series in! I'm looking forward to trying them.

Rhinoa said...

Andi - Do it, you know you want to ;)

Jennifer - I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens next and seeing if it is even better than this one.

Tink - I hope you get to read them soon.

Marg said...

I read the first one in this series a little while ago. Hoping to read this one soon too. Glad to hear that you thought it was a better book than the first one. Lifts my anticipation up a notch!

Darla D said...

I flew through these books when they first came out and really loved them. I'm glad that they are experiencing a resurgence in popularity. I'm glad you enjoyed it - I really should add these to my reread queue.