Friday, February 19, 2010


Rating : 4.5/5
Number of Pages : 326
Series : #1 Sookie Stackhouse
Format : Urban Fantasy, Vampire Novel
Reason for Reading : Sookie Stackhouse Challenge

Sookie Stackhouse is a waitress in small town Bon Temps in the South of America. She's your average Southern Belle apart from she can read peoples minds. This is not a gift to her, she calls it her disability and finds it very difficult to shut out the thoughts of those around her. Obviosuly this makes dating impossible, who wants to hear the crude or unflattering thoughts of the man you are out with. Another small difference between us and Sookie is that in her reality vampires are "out of the coffin" and are members of society said to have a virus.

Sookie's world changes when a vampire arrives in Bon Temps (vampire Bill). For Sookie he is a breath of fresh air as he is the one being whose mind she can't hear. Of course they start to get close immediately, but their lives do not run smoothly as a series of young girls are being murdered locally that all have connections to vampires. Sookie is drawn into the supernatural world and learns more than she ever wanted to about vampires and other supernatural creatures. When her brother also becomes more and more under scrutiny by the local police, Sookie pitches in trying to clear his name by finding out who the real killer is.

I really loved this book, a great start to the series. It's exactly like the series True Blood, yet somehow completely different. If I was recommending these to anyone I would say read the book before watching series one as it spoilt it a little knowing who the murderer would turn out to be. I am very interested to see what happens next to Sookie, Vampire Bill, Sam and Sookie's brother Jason.

4 comments:

samantha.1020 said...

I read this one awhile ago and then never continued on with the series. I'm planning on trying them again at some point as I did like the book and they are so popular. Glad to hear that you liked it so much!

jehara said...

Glad you are enjoying the series so far. I liked the first one but think the series gets better as the series goes on.

Alice Teh said...

I've just finished this one and I like it. Am definitely going to complete the whole series. :D

Vanessa said...

I'm reading this book right now and I love it! I will definitely be continuing with the series and checking out True Blood now.