Monday, January 11, 2010


Rating : 4.5/5
Number of Pages : 131
Series : #3 Believer Columns Collection
Format : Non Fiction
Reason for Reading : 10 10 10 Challenge, Because I love Nick Hornby and I wanted to continue with the series

Nick Hornby's final collection of his columns from The Believe magazine (published in America). It still tracks "Stuff he has been reading" as well as what he has bought. This collection is a little different as one month he does no reading and another he looks at films rather than books. Among the films he watched was Juno and I am so glad he loved it or we may have had to part ways.

It is narrated with the usual dry wit and pokes fun at the Polysyllabic Spree who run The Believer and as usual I got some interesting recommendations for me and to pass on to other people. Probably the most interesting thing is that the columns are from around the time he published Slam, his first young adult book. At the time he hadn't read any young adult books and during book tours he was introduced to his first ones like Skelling and Holes. I find it interesting that he dipped into a genre of writing that he didn't really know much about and hadn't researched. It's great that he liked the authors he found though and helped spread the word to the reading snobs that may have subscribed to the magazine and missed an outstanding genre.

I am sad that this was the final collection, despite all the football discussions (boo Arsenel!). I look forward to reading his latest novel, Juliet Naked and hope he writes more soon.

6 comments:

Alice Teh said...

I don't usually read books like this, but I'm glad you like it!

Kailana said...

I liked this series. I wish there were more!

Andi said...

I read the first one, and I haven't gotten round to Housekeeping vs. Dirt just yet. I'll have to, I'm sure. :)

Rhinoa said...

Alice - You should give them a go.

Kailana - I know, I want more too.

Andi - I hope you have time to catch up with them soon.

Nymeth said...

I was VERY sad it was the last as well :(

George said...

I enjoyed all the ribbing Hornby did at the Polysyllabic Spree (his editors) in all three essay collections. You'll enjoy JULIET, NAKED.