Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Awakening - LJ Smith


Rating : 3.5/5
Number of Pages : 253
Series : #1 Vampire Diaries
Format : Vampire Fiction, Teenage Fiction
Reason for Reading : LJ Smith Reading Challenge

Elena is back from a holiday in France picking up her old life after the death of her parents in a car crash. She has always been popular and had her pick of the boys at school, but when new boy Stefan joins her school she doesn't seem to be able to use her charms on him. She is currently with another guy anyway, but Elena believes that Stefan is not like other guys, and boy is she right.

Stefan has his own story that involves a girl he loved and his brother. It will come as no surprise that he is a vampire (I figure this isn't a spoiler as the series is called The Vampire Diaries!) and this is why he is concerned about getting close to Elena who he secretly can't stop thinking about. He has a tortured past that brought him to where he is now and he tries to maintain his humanity. The problem is he is having periods of time that he cannot remember, experiencing a strange Power and people are getting hurt and dying.

It was a good start to the series. It's hard having read Twilight first as they have a lot in common. I know this was written first, but it doesn't quite compete with Twilight and falls a little short. I quite like Elena, she is a strong character despite falling in love so quickly. I want to get to k now Damon more though and see what decisions took him to where he is now and what motivates him. I will see how the next one goes as the first leaves things very open.

4 comments:

Andi said...

Glad you liked this introduction to The Vampire Diaries. I read it growing up--not long after it was pubished--and it was always a favorite. My stepdaughter just finished and she's in love with it. Yay! Victory for me.

Rhinoa said...

Andi - I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had read it before Twilight. Glad your stepdaughter liked it :) Looking forward to book two.

Amy said...

I was surprised on the reread how much it was like Twilight...but it does go a different direction. :)

GretchTM said...

I remember reading this two or three years ago and I really enjoyed the series. I hope you enjoy the rest of the books as much as I did. I still haven't read the Return, but I plan on reading it soon.