Tuesday, September 29, 2009


Rating : 4.0/5
Number of Pages : 382
Format : Fantasy Novel
Reason for Reading : Dream King Challenge

A collaborative project from fantasy masters Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. We follow a series of characters as their stories intertwine as the appocolypse fast approches. Angel Aziraphale and Demon Crowley make an interesting team. They have both been living on the world for thousands of years and have grown rather attached to it. They don't really want the war between the angels and demons to take place so both risk going against the ineffible plan by trying to sort out the mess.

It all starts when the Antichrist is born and is switched into a human family. Crowley is in charge of making sure the switch goes to plan, but he doesn't bank on incompetant Satanic nuns. The baby grows up in the wrong family and Hell begin to question Crowley when the Hellhound arrives and Crowley can't find where it went. Into the mix comes Anathema Device, a descendent of Agnes Nutter a prophetess whose predictions have always come true. Anathema is trying to stop the appocolypse as well as she rather likes her life. The other human getting caught up in divine events is Newton Pulsifer who has sort of fallen into being a Witchfinder. Can the elements all come together in time to stop the Four Horsemen of the Appocolypse fom ending the world and bringing on the war to end all wars. Question is, if the war happens what will the angels and demons do next?

A fun read. It feels like Pratchetts writing and Gaiman's ideas a lot of the time. They worked well together, I personally prefer Gaiman's slightly darker side to Pratchett's more comic fantasy, but this will definitely appeal to Pratchett fans as well. I would love to see what else they could come up with as a writing team, but it seems highly unlikely at this point sadly.

8 comments:

Amanda said...

I've thought about reading this one, but haven't fully decided yet. I read one of Pratchett's books and it was pretty good, but it was also a kid's book, and I'm hit and miss with Gaimen (tend to like his younger stuff more than adult stuff).

Framed said...

Great review. I love both Pratchett and Gaiman and so I loved this book. I just laughed throughout.

Kailana said...

This was my first book by both authors! I thought it was great, but it's been a while!

Alice Teh said...

I'm not too sure I'll be reading this but it's definitely on my radar. :D

Nymeth said...

I know what you mean about the writing feeling a bit more Pratchett-ish. But you can tell Neil's there as well. Needless to say, I love this book :P

jehara said...

i may have to check this one out. i've only read a few things by gaiman, but so far i really like what i've read.

Nina said...

I love Terry! His books always make me wanna laugh out loud! :)

Darla D said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this one as much as I did! They do make a good combo, don't they!