Thursday, July 16, 2009


Rating : 3.5/5
Number of Pages : 399
Format : Fantasy Adventure Novel
Reason for Reading : 999 Challenge

The classic fantasy adventure novel that became a hit film. Buttercup lives on a farm and grows up to be one of the most beautiful women in the world. On the farm lives farm hand Westly. They fall in love and Westly leaves to make his fortune ready to marry Buttercup. While he is away though news comes back to the farm that his ship has ben captured by the Dread Pirate Roberts who is known for leaving none alive. Buttercup goes into mourning with a broken heart which only increases her beauty attracting Prince Humperdink. She agrees to marry him as long as he realises there will be no love between them.

As the marriage draws closer Buttercup is kidnapped by a clever dwarf, giant Fezzik and Master swordsman Inigo Montoya. Someone is following them who may be able to out match them all, the mysterious man in black, who seems determined to get to Buttercup. The plot slowly starts to unravel as we learn more about the dastardly Prince Humperdink, the loyal Fezzik and Inigo who is out for revenge for the death of his father. The identity of the Man in Black in also revealed.

This is a true classic adventure tale. There is something for everyone no matter the age or gender. The film is an excellent adaptation which I highly recommend. My only problem with this was that it was written as if it was adapted from a longer novel with a sequel. The story goes that William Goldman was read the original story by his father when he was ill who missed out all he non action parts making a much better novel. Reading it all I wanted to do was get a copy of the original novel and the follow up which really spoilt it for me. Turns out (thanks Mariel) that this was all a joke and it is an orignal story by Goldman. I am not sure which was more dissapointing...

4 comments:

Kailana said...

I really like this book. I keep thinking I should reread it, but I am not very good at rereading...

mariel said...

sorry! :(

Literary Feline said...

This is one of my favorite books. I can see why not being in on the secret might be rather disappointing. I knew ahead of time fortunately and so found it one of the most amusing aspects of the novel.

Nymeth said...

Like Wendy, I knew about it ahead of time, and so I actually liked the format. I agree it's unusual, though. And it was mean of him to tease us with a sequel like that :P