Tuesday, July 28, 2009


Rating : 3.5/5
Number of Pages : 274
Series : Canongate Myth Series
Format : Mythology Re-Telling Novel
Reason for Reading : 999 Challenge, to continue with the series

A re-telling of the Minotaur myth set in an internet chat room. A series of people wake up in single rooms with no contact to each other besides an internet chat room where their screen names have been picked for them. It seems there are moderators who will not let the captives reveal anything personal about themselves, like their real name and where they are from. One screen name is Ariadne and she has been having dreams of the minotaur which she tells to the others as they wait for Theseus to appear and rescue them.

They begin to explore their external surroundings when their doors open. It seems they are trapped in a physical labyrinth as well with no way into anothers area. Two of them think their areas meet so they start to seek ways to reach each other. Meanwhile some stay in their room and discuss the situation and try to figure out what is going on.

This was very trippy but really thought provoking. Definitely something that needs a re-read as I think I missed quite a lot the first time. It is much more of a philiosophical discussion than a straight novel set out like a play.

Other reviews : Nymeth Things Mean a Lot

4 comments:

Nymeth said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it more than I did. I guess my main problem is that I kept thinking he should have written an essay, not a novel :P

Amanda said...

That has got to be the weirdest premise I've ever heard. I think I'll have to read it just for that!

mariel said...

I'll read it, as it's in the Canongate series, but it does sound very trippy to me!

Alice Teh said...

I like the weirdness of it and might pick it up.