Wednesday, July 22, 2009


Rating : 3.5/5
Number of Pages : 231
Format : Teenage Fiction
Reason for Reading : 999 Challenge

Kate Malone is a popular, straight A student who commits the cardinal sin of applying to only one college. The traditional way is to apply to a few safety collages, but all she wants is to go to MIT. She spends her time when not in school looking after her dad after her mother died and running. Running is what clears her head and she muses between Bad Kate and Good Kate (her conscience).

Their neighbours house burns down one day. The mother is unwell, her husband used to beat her up and one shot to the head has left her permanently damaged. Her daughter and son move in with the Mallones and Kate has to give her bedroom to her nemisis Teri Litch as well as her annoying little brother. After spending some time with them Kate begins to love little Mikey, but when tradgey hits in a string of three events Kate's world is completely turned upside down.

One thing I loved about this was that all the chapter headings were names after chemistry terminology. Being a biochemist I lapped this up! It is set in the same school as Speak with another troubled teen and just as gripping a plot. I didn't see all of the twists coming and two in particular were quite shocking. If you liekd Speak, then this is definitely for you.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

I did love Speak, and I'm now more anxious to read Catalyst, Chains, and Wintergirls. I always hear good things about these.

Iliana said...

I loved Speak so I'm definitely going to check this one out. Do any of the characters from Speak make an appearance though?

Melody said...

I've Speak in my pile! I look forward to reading it... That said, I'll check out this book as well.

Rhinoa said...

Amanda - I really want to read Wintergirls.

Iliana - Yes some of the characters from Speak do pop up, but only very briefly. They are mentioned as well in passing. It's not really a direct sequel, just set in the same place.

Melody - I am sure you will love Speak.

jehara said...

i read wintergirls last month and i loved it. it was stunning and harrowing. i also loved speak so i think i would like this one as well.

Nymeth said...

I will read this for sure! I think she's a writer I could grow to really love.

Alice Teh said...

I've just read about a review on Speak and I definitely could get to know this author.