Thursday, July 23, 2009

Booking Through Thursday


Preferences

Which do you prefer? (Quick answers–we’ll do more detail at some later date)

Reading something frivolous? Or something serious? - Usually it depends on my mood. I read more serious books and then break them up with something frivolous

Paperbacks? Or hardcovers? - Paperbacks. They are easier to carry around and to hold when reading lying down.

Fiction? Or Nonfiction? - Ficiton, I don't read much non-fiction to be honest.

Poetry? Or Prose? - Usually prose but I do read poetry from time to time.

Biographies? Or Autobiographies? - To be honest I don't read either.... I think I have read one autobiology and maybe one or two biographies in my life!

History? Or Historical Fiction? - Historical fiction usually although it is good to get the real facts sometims. I just prefer fiction to non-fiction is all.

Series? Or Stand-alones? - I love series books. You can really get into a set of characters and it's great following them on their adventures. Stand alones help my bank balance more though.

Classics? Or best-sellers? - Classics as I don't tend to read best sellers.

Lurid, fruity prose? Or straight-forward, basic prose? Hmm this is more difficult. A bit of both? I don't like too wordy, but I do like a good bit of prose.

Plots? Or Stream-of-Consciousness? - Usually plots but I do enjoy stream-of-consciousness like Virginia Wolfe and Ali Smith.

Long books? Or Short? - Again it depends on my mood and my attention span. The writing and subject of the book are much more important than the length. It's not the size that matters, it's what you do with it ;)

Illustrated? Or Non-illustrated? - I love graphic novels and manga as well as books with illustrations. It makes me feel like more effort has been taken somehow and I am being given something extra. I am always especilaly excited when the author has done the illustrations themselves like James A Owen.

Borrowed? Or Owned? - Owned. I like the feel of books and being surrounded by them. I am trying to curb my buying habbits as always and as usually failing miserably.

New? Or Used? - New ideally, but there is something about an old book that makes you wonder about its history. Who has read it before you and what they thought of it.

11 comments:

Rebecca :) said...

Hi, great answers. I had trouble with the lurid, fruity prose question. I wasn't sure what that meant, but I guess it means wordy? I would go with straight-forward then. I read a lot of biographies and memoirs so I balance out your scale. :)

DesLily said...

this was interesting.. i may have to do it ..

I'm not into graphic novels.. my money is so limited it's hard for me to buy a book that's more art work than reading..heck I even find it hard to buy and exceptionally small paged book!

iwriteinbooks said...

I find myself doing the same with heavy reading v. frivolous reading, lately. Sometimes your brain just needs a break!

Melody said...

I've a hard time deciding for my answers; there're some questions that I wanted to say "Both" but I decided on one in the end. ;P

gautami tripathy said...

I like Graphic novels but give me prose any day!

Booking through preferences

Susan B. Evans said...

Great answers! The name of my blog is "Well-Mannered Frivolity" - can you guess what my answer to number 1 was? It was hard to choose between some of the answers this week though...

Nymeth said...

I agree with most of yours answers. I love illustrations to bits and I wish more books had them!

Also, always nice to see the kitties :D

Kim L said...

Great answers. "Lurid, fruity prose" got me. What a funny phrase.

So much depends on mood as well.

Alice Teh said...

If I play, my answers would mostly be "both" and like you, I read something frivolous after erading the more serious ones.

Susan said...

Hi, kitties! they look so happy. I like your answers too. I might have to do this meme soon. I'm like you, I much prefer owning to borrowing.

Susan said...

Hi, kitties! they look so happy. I like your answers too. I might have to do this meme soon. I'm like you, I much prefer owning to borrowing.