Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Rating : 2.5/5
Number of Pages : 165
Series : Canongate Myth Series
Format : Mythology, Non-Fiction
Reason for Reading : 999 Challenge, to continue with the series

A look at mythology over the ages: The Paleaolithic Period, The Neolithic Period, The Early Civilisations, The Axial Age, The Post-Axial Age and The Great Western Transformation. It discusses different myths and how they have been shaped by the times and environment around them. Armstrong takes us up to modern time where science leads the way and discredits many myths.

I don't have too much to say about this book sadly. I thought it tried to cover far too much in too small a volume. I thought it would spend more time discussing what myth is and defining it and I also disagreed with some of the statements she made and how some of the myths and timepoints were interpreted. A very average read, maybe more suited to someone just dipping into mythology for the first time.

2 comments:

Nymeth said...

I think I enjoyed it a bit more than you did, but there were definitely things I had problems with. Namely her tendency to make speculations and present them as facts.

3M said...

That's too bad. I'll probably still read it to complete the myths series, but I won't have high expectations.