Friday, June 26, 2009

Rating : 4.0/5
Number of Pages : 271
Format : Fantasy, Teenage Fiction Novel
Reason for Reading : 999 Challenge, I love Charles de Lint

TJ has moved from a farm in the country to the city with her family when their fortunes take a turn for the worse. Unfortuantely this means giving up her beloved horse Red. One night she hears something in the walls on her house and it turns out that a family of Littles are living there. She meets Elizabeth who is the complete opposite to her. She is a Little with a really big personality into punk and making her own cool clothes. TJ is more of a goody goody and she tries to help Elizabeth who has run away from home and her controlling parents.

To learn more about LIttles and the myth that they can change into birds and fly, they try to find author Sheri Piper who seems to be the only other human who knows about Littles. Unforatuntely things do not go as planned. With Elizabeth hidden in her backpack, TJ is set upon by a gang of boys and loses her. They each have their own adventures as they are forced to go their seperate ways. Elizabeth meets more Littles, the fey folk and explores the Goblin market. TJ is finally noticed by boys and opens up about Elizabeth to two very different reactions.

This was a great story. Charles de Lint fast became one of my favourite authors and this book reminds me just why. He blends fantasy and fairy tale perfectly. He also has such a way with characters that really brings them to life. I wish I had Littles living in my flat.

5 comments:

jehara said...

i read dingo before i left texas. i absolutely loved it. i think i will have to try this one next.

Kailana said...

I had this on hold at the library, but I think the book has been permanently borrowed... I will have to buy it eventually.

Clare said...

This is on my to buy list, I love CDL's books, this sounds good :)

Alice Teh said...

Sounds good! I've read only Dingo.

Darla D said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed this one. You know de Lint is one of my favorites! :-) Have you read The Dreaming Place yet? I think you'll really like that one.