Monday, June 08, 2009

Rating : 3.5/5
Number of Pages : 227
Format : Arthurian Fiction, Teenage Fiction
Reason for Reading : Once Upon a Time III Challenge, Arthurian Challenge II

A tale of Morgan Le Fey as a young child growing in to maturity. It tells the Arthurian myths from a different perspective and how she becomes the nemesis of King Arthur. As a young girl she has always been different with her mis-matched fey eyes and she sees Uther the night he visits her mother to concieve Arthur in disguise. Igraine and Uther marry soon after and when he dies Morgan, her sister Morgause and their nurse flee Tintagel before they are killed by those looking to get rid of the heirs.

On the journey they discover their nurse is more than she seems. They also have help and company from a young man named Thomas whose story contains references to True Thomas from fairy tale. After Morgan recieves a sending (a type of dream/vision) she knows she must journey to Avalon to further her magical training. She meets more of the fey, goddesses and the Master of the Hunt. She has fallen in love with Thomas, but he is fated to die in battle which Morgan hopres to prevent.

I enjoyed this short tale and liked the addition of Thomas, their nurse and the Master of the Hunt. The addition of more fey and fairy tale elements fit in really well and made it a little different from other re-tellings. It's a very easy read as the writing style is very lyrical and I hope to read more by Springer in the future.

Other reviews:
Things Mean a Lot

6 comments:

Kailana said...

I may have to check this one out. I really need to read something for this challenge.

jehara said...

i read this a long time ago and really enjoyed it.

Nymeth said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I definitely want to read more by Springer too. Her other Arthurian retelling, I am Mordred, sounds excellent.

Court said...

I've always been a fan of Arthurian myths, and love hearing different perspectives of Morgan le Fey... I think I'm going to have to check this out. Thanks for sharing the review. :)

Darla D said...

Ooh, you and Nymeth keep ganging up on me! How can I possibly resist? Plus I love just about everything I've read by Springer so far.

Nina said...

Great book, never read it, but it sounds very good. Thank you for your review.