Wednesday, June 17, 2009


Rating : 4.5/5
Number of Pages : 290
Format : Fantasy, Ghost Story
Reason for Reading : 999 Challenge

A beautiful story of haunting love. Michael Morgan wakes up in a coffin at his own funeral. Turns out he is dead and is wife is suspected of poisoning and murdering him. He meets Mr Rebeck who is an alive ghost haunting and living in the cemetary with a raven that keeps him in food. He has taken himself away from life after he went bankrupt and lost his pharmacy business. It is up to Mr Rebeck to teach Michael about death and being a ghost.

Death is not the end for Michael. Ghosts lose their memories over time including human mannerisms like walking on the ground properly, but Michael is determined to keep himself together. He meets Laura, another recent ghost who was hit by a car. She had thought about sucicide when alive but never went through with it. It also seems that Mr Rebeck has another chance at a more usual life when he meets widow Mrs Klapper who may be able to help him come back to the world.

This was such a beautiful book. The language was consuming somehow, really pulling me in. I loved Beagle's ideas of death and what happens after we die. His characters were really interesting and there were some great surprises throughout the story. It's a ghost story but more a look at humanity and what makes a person. Highly recommended

8 comments:

Amanda said...

This one sounds really interesting.

Nicola said...

This has always been my favourite of Beagle's books! Truly brilliant. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Cath said...

I must try this one as I really loved Tamsin.

Kim L said...

Sounds like a really, really interesting book. Was it at all creepy, or was the ghost part of it pretty straight-forward?

Alice Teh said...

This one sounds very good! I have Tamsin in my TBR. So many books, so little time!

Nymeth said...

I'm so glad you loved it too!

Darla D said...

This one's been on my list since Nymeth reviewed it, but somehow I haven't gotten to it yet. Maybe I will save it for RIP? Glad you liked it.

digitalflm@aol.com said...

Did they ever make a film based on the book?