Wednesday, April 29, 2009


Rating : 4.0/5
Number of Pages : 197
Series : Canongate Myth Series
Format : Mythology Re-telling Novel
Reason for Reading : 999 Challenge, to continue with the series

Sally Vickers joins the Canongate Myth series taking the tale of Oedipus. She matches him up with Psychologist Sigmund Freud who came up with his famous theory of mother loving and father hating Oedipus complex and his theory of Psychoanalysis. Sally comes up with the genius idea of having the Oracle who fortold that Oedipus would kill his father and that he would sleep with his mother appearing to Freud in his later life and telling his side of events.

Freud is ill. He has a painful cancer growing in his mouth which led to much of his jaw being removed and many painful operations. He was given his oral prothesis he nicknamed "the monster" to aid his speaking and it is during this illness that the Oracle first begins to appear. We learn of his life growing up in Delphi being dedicated to Apollo but also working with Athena who causes his blindness and Dionysis. There are some great moments of dialogue between him and Freud who cannot help trying to analyse him at intervals.

This was such a fun and interesting novel. I didn't know much about Freud's life and was interested to read about his crippling illness and his time fleeing the Nazi's against his will (his sisters were killed in concentration camps). It so ironic that Freud who needed his powers of speech so much lost them in later life. A great addition to an excellent and thought provoking series.

6 comments:

jehara said...

that sounds really interesting. i always liked the greek tragedies.

Marg said...

I've borrowed this a few times but never actually read it! I might have to request it again. Thanks for the review.

Robin said...

Very interesting! I need to read more of this series. The only one I've read so far is Dream Angus, which I really enjoyed.

Ladytink_534 said...

Wow this does sound pretty neat! I just love any kind of mythology (especially re-tellings!) :)

Nymeth said...

I have to confess I've been hesitant about this one because I'm not a big fan of Freud...but you make it sounds like something that would appeal to me regardless.

Alice Teh said...

This one sounds interesting. I've not read anything of Freud and might consider taking this up.