Sunday, April 12, 2009

Iceland Day Two

OK so I am finally getting around to putting up our photos from day wo of our trip to Iceland. It was the most packed day as we did the Golden Circle Tour as well as have a look around the town of Reykjavik in more depth when we returned.

The first stop on the tour randomly was Nesjavellir, a high-temperature geothermal area with a powerstation. I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting to. It was interesting to learn how in Iceland they use natual sources to get hot water and electricity. This is a picture of some of the equipment in the powerstation.

This was a small statue in the powerstation that caught my eye.

This was a typical view out of the windows of the bus as we drove to our next destination. The land is very bare but very beautiful, especially when overed with snow.

We went past a few herds of Icelandic horses, this is just one shot of a larger group. They brave the elements and freezing temperatures so well!


The next stop was an impressive waterfall, Gullfoss (The Golden Waterfall). It was a bit of a walk from the bus and it was around -7oC and snowing as well as veing very slippery. On the way to the top of the waterfall we passed some grass that had frozen very quickly and I thought it looked really pretty.


This is near the top of the waterfall. It sort of had two parts to it and this was the smaller drop. In the summertime a rainbow goes across it which I am sure is stunning. Another reason to come back! The dots are the snow that was coming down quite fast.

Another shot of the top of the waterfall from a different angle. It was a bit scary as it was very slippery and there was just this one rope to stop you going over the side. I took a lot of care beleive me taking my photos!

This is me looking freezing with the bottom part of the waterfall behind me. You can see how cold I am from my very pink face and the falling snow is clear which I like. I loved the patterns on the walls around the waterfall where the water had frozen to ice.

I was finally able to get a shot ith some trees in it. There are not many and they are all imported. I loved this little bridge over water that had frozen patches in it.

The next stop was the steam fields which are another geothermal area around the incredible spouting hot springs of Geysir and Strokkur. This is the geyser just erupting (I took a video of it as well). It had a very sulphur smell, but was such an amazing sight. This is one of the most well known in Iceland and the whole field had steam coming from different holes across it. Geysir is now inactive, but Strokker still spouts every 5 to 15 minutes and we watched it srout a few times and nearly missed our bus.

The shop had some interesting viking helmets I just had to try on!

I had a lot of fun taking pictures from inside the bus as the snow came down and stuck to the window.

After our tour we spent some more time looking around Reykjavik ultimately with the goal of finding somewhere to have dinner. We saw lots more graffiti and I liked this a lot on the side of a cafe advertsing their menu. If we go back I think I will try and track it down and try their food.

Pne last shot of our wanderings in Reykjavik. I found this in someones front garden and really liked it. I metal remaking of a paper boat.


9 comments:

jessi said...

Beautiful pictures! Sounds like you had a lot of fun. :)

Kim L said...

Those are really lovely pictures! I've heard that Iceland is a really beautiful place to visit, if I had any doubt about that your pictures have definitely erased that.

Love the viking hat :-)

Melody said...

I'm enjoying reading your vacation posts, Rhinoa! The pics are great!!

Alice Teh said...

Awesome photos, Rhinoa! I wished I could be there to take in the scene and experience it too...

Nymeth said...

lol, the Viking helmet picture is awesome. And the others are all amazing! Thanks so much for sharing.

Literary Feline said...

Iceland looks so cold! LOL Great photos, Rhinoa. I would love to visit there someday.

Ladytink_534 said...

I'm cold just looking at these (admittedly pretty) photos! Brr!

Carl V. said...

Oh wow, those are amazing pics. Yes, definitely looks cold, but quite beautiful as well.

Cath said...

Amazing photos - have always wanted to visit Iceland. The Viking helmet is very fetching. :-D