Tuesday, April 21, 2009


Rating : 4.0/5
Number of Pages : 342
Format : Fantasy, Fairy Tale Novel
Reason for Reading : Challenge with Nymeth 2, Once Upon a Time III Challenge

Morag and Heather are two Scottish fairies who have become severely lost and have ended up in New York seperated from their friends. They meet Dinnie who is a lowlife human and try to convince him that drunken fairy vomit surely smells sweet to humans! Heather and Morag have a complicated history that involves them arguing a lot over who is the best fiddle player. Morag storms out and finds another human, Kerry, who is suffering from Crohns Disease (a painful disease that doesn't have a cure or a real understanding of the cause that affects the digestive system and intestines).

All Kerry wants is to beat her evil ex boyfriend Cal in a local community competition. He was supposed to teach her all the guitar solos to The New York Dolls but he bailed on her when he found out about her disease. In retalliation she is making a Celtic flower alphabet that will kick his version of A Midsummer Night's Dream to the curb. She has a very rare triple bloomed poppy, but what with one thing and another it keeps getting lost and stolen by tramps, fairies and Cal. Mostly it is taken by Magenta who believes she is an ancient Greek General who is surprisingly spry and quick witted.

Meanwhile Petal and Tulip are living in Central Park with a couple of other lost fairies. They have scaped their tyranical father who is opressing all the British fairies and looking to take over Scotland. The two sets of fairies come up against different races of fairies, Chinese, Black and Itallian as they accidentally step into their territories. It looks like a full scale fairy war is beginning and the Fairy King of England has found a way to bring his army over to New York.

This was very readable and I really enjoyed it. The only critisism I have is that one of the threads of the story didn't go anywhere and I was really hoping it would. It concerned the dying tramps on one particular street and was never really resolved. Other than that minor issue it was a great blend of fantasy, fairy tale, folklore, sadness and humour. Definitely recommended and I will definitely be checking out more books by Millar.

10 comments:

Literary Feline said...

Thanks for the great review! I've been curious about this one for a little while now. It sounds like something I would enjoy.

Chris said...

You did such a great review Rhinoa! I had the hardest time reviewing this one because there was SO much going on...I'll just point people here in the future ;) To be honest, I had completely forgot about all of the dying people on the streets! I would have liked to have seen that resolved too though.

Cath said...

I've got Martin Millar's Lonely Werewolf Girl on my tbr pile. Perhaps when I've read that I'll try this as it sounds very good too.

Darla D said...

My library doesn't have this or Lonely Werewolf Girl. I will put in requests, and maybe by the time I'm through my pile they'll decide to buy them. Your review really made me want to read this one!

Ladytink_534 said...

Fairies in New York seems to be a pretty common theme in books I'm discovering lately but I can't help but want to read this one too.

Alice Teh said...

I have enjoyed this one and I'm glad you did too! :D

samantha.1020 said...

This sounds really interesting! I love the Once Upon a Time Challenge just because it adds to my TBR list :) Great review!

jehara said...

this goes on the list too. would work well for the 999 challenge. :)

marineko said...

Great review :D
I read this quite sometime ago, and remember loving it very much. I recently got Martin Millar's "Lonely Werewolf Girl", but have yet to read it.

Nymeth said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed it too! I can't actually remember that unresolved storyline at all. Only goes to show that I need to re-read it :P