Saturday, April 25, 2009


Rating : 4.0/5
Number of Pages : 457
Series : #1 Castle Waiting
Format : Graphic Novel, Fairy Tale
Reason for Reading : Once Upon a Time Challenge III

Castle Waiting is the first collection of fairy tales and mythology from Linda Medley. They continue fairy tales from the "hasppily ever after" centering around the Castle where Sleeping Beauty lived. After she left with her Prince it becomes something of a haven and safe place for people looking to escape and move on with their lives without interruption. There are some of the original inhabitants from the castle who help out when new people arrive.

The story mostly follows pregnant Lady Jain Solander. She left her husband after the father of her child (not her husband in case you were wondering) dies. She is quickly accepted by most of the castles inhabitants (Rackham a bird man, Iron Henry a handy man, Simon and his mother, Dr Fell and Sister Peace of the Order Solicitine to name a few). Through her we learn the stories of the castles inhabitants as she gets to know them and they are loosly based on many different fairy tales and myths.

This was a lovely collection and a must for all fairy tale lovers. It had simple yet lovely artwork and is a real labour of love. My favourite story was that of Sister Peace who is from an Order of Bearded Nuns. She spent some time in a circus where she tended bar before finding her calling which is helping others. Volume two is due for release I believe and I am very much looking forward to catching up with my favourite characters and hopefully meeting some new ones.

7 comments:

libritouches said...

Oh! There's going to be a second volume? This has already been on my TBR list for some time now (although the price has scared me away so far), but if there's a second volume looming that does make it extra desirable! It does sound like a lovely thing to read. ^-^

Kailana said...

I really wish volume 2 would come out soon! Seems to me volume 1 has been out for a while, now!

Darla D said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, too. Great news about #2 - I'm excited to see what happens next!

Ladytink_534 said...

Oh! I have a feeling I'd adore this. I sure wish my library had it :(

Carl V. said...

Her work on this truly is a labor of love. She had to give up on it many years ago due to severe debt trying to get this series off the ground publishing independently and I was so thrilled when she got back to it years later.

Nymeth said...

Sister Peace's story was so awesome! I can't wait for the next collected volume.

fuzzycricket said...

You review the coolest books! Can't wait to track down a copy of this one. I love "after happily after" stories and I like the idea of the common tie being the Castle. Very cool, indeed.