Monday, April 27, 2009


This challenge was hosted with it's own blog here which kept track of all the reviews. The challenge was to read 10 award winning books that won between them at least 5 different genres of awards between 1/10/08 - 1/6/08. I picked a list of 10 possibles and some alternatives. The final list of books I read with links to their reviews are below:

1. Stardust - Neil Gaiman (Mythopoeic Award)
2. Sunshine - Robin McKinley (Mythopoeic Award)
3. The Inheritance of Loss - Kiran Desai (Man Booker)
4. The Complete Maus - Art Spiegelman (Pulitzar)
5. Gilead - Marilnne Robinson (Pulitzer)
6. The Tale of Despereaux - Kate DiCamillo (Newbery)
7. A Wrinkle in Time - Madeleine L'Engle (Newbery)
8. Journey to the River Sea - Eva Ibbotson (Nestle Gold Medal)
9. The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman (Newberry)
10. The Gathering - Anne Enright (Man Booker)

I really must read all the Mythopoeic winners and nominations at some point. I haven't yet read one I haven't enjoyed. I read some great books for this challenge and loved most of them. Rather than picking a favourite which is really difficult, I am going to say the the only book I didn;t really enjoy at all was The Gathering by Anne Enright. It was just pretty grim and dull to be honest.

13 comments:

Nicola said...

Congratulations! That's quite a wide variety of different types of awards you've got there too!

Melody said...

Congrats on finishing the challenge, Rhinoa!

Cath said...

Congrats on finishing this one! I'm just reading my 8th. book for it so hopefully should manage to finish on time.

Kailana said...

Congrats on finishing this challenge!

A Hazra said...

Congrats on finishing your challenge. You've got real variety in your selection. I'm still stuck in another challenge: Midnight's Children, my second attempt at this book is faring as badly as the first. I managed to finish two other books in this interval, however, so bookreading hasn't slowed.

Robin said...

Congratulations on finishing this challenge! I'd like to read all the Mythopoetic award winners, too!

Lightheaded said...

Congrats on finishing the challenge early too! We both read The Graveyard Book! Hahaha!

jehara said...

good job on finishing this challenge!
i tried to do the book awards challenge last year but didn't finish.

Ladytink_534 said...

The Graveyard Book was SO good! It's been forever since I've read A Wrinkle in Time though... oh and Sunshine was pretty good too though I wish she would write a sequel.

Congrats on finishing!

Nymeth said...

Congrats on finishing the challenge! I'll definitely join you in reading all the Mythopoeic winners.

Alice Teh said...

Congratulations on completing the challenge! :D

Susan said...

Congratulations, Rhinoa! I'm 2 books away from finishing, so desperately working away at it. It is fun to widen our reading, isn't it? and I am making a challenge for the Mythopoeic books, in case Nymeth didn't tell you. I'm attempting to get it up by June 1! I really want to read all of them, too :-D

3M said...

Congrats!!