Monday, March 23, 2009

Sunshine - Robin McKinley


Rating : 4.0/5
Number of Pages : 405
Format : Fantasy Horror Novel
Reason for Reading : Book Awards II Challenge, 666 Challenge

Sunshine is the nickname of Rae Seddon. When she was younger her mother left her father and she has been raised to be her mother's daughter. This becomes more apparent as we learn her father was a sorcerer from the famous Blaize family. Sunshine works in a bakery where she is famous for making her delicious cinnanmon rolls among other pastries and deserts. Everything changes though one day when she takes a drive up to the lake and doesn't hear the vampires coming (well you don't do you).

She wakes up surrounded by the creatures and is taken to a house where she is chained to the wall to be food for another vampire Constantine who is an enemy of their Masters. Con is trying to beat Bo by not eating Sunshinee. Sunshine on the other hand knows that no one escapes alive from vampires. All she has to help her is a small lock knife tucked in her bra.

During her incarcaration she remembers time spent with her grandmother, her father's mother, when she was young after her father left. She taught her transmuting, how she could change an object into another eg a feather into a leaf. Although she has been raised her mother's daughter, she still has the powers of her fathers line and she must be prepared so they do not suddenly express themselves. This could be her way out of her current situation although what to do about the trapped vampire as it doesn't seem fair to leave him behind. After all he didn't eat her, but it is sunshine outside.

I think this has had mixed reviews on the blogsphere, but I have to say I enjoyed it immensley. I loved Sunshine and reading her thought patterns which were at times a little jumbled as they would really be. I also really liked the supporting characters of Charlie, Con, Mel, Yolanda and Pat especially. There are so many vampire books around at the moment and this really does give you a different twist on the genre. My only random note was that was a random nearly sex scene in the middle of the book that seemed very out of place, but it did set up some conflict in the story which worked well. There could definitely be a sequel which I would most definitely rush out to get and read.

10 comments:

kiirstin said...

I adore this book. I had to buy a second copy because my first copy got read out. I just find myself occasionally going back to certain parts and re-reading, because passages of Sunshine's thoughts get stuck in my head.

Sadly, though, I wouldn't count on there being a sequel. McKinley is notoriously unable to write direct sequels, although many of her books seem to be set up to introduce one. There may be other books set in the same world (I believe she's working on one) but I sincerely doubt there's going to be another book dealing with the same characters.

Kailana said...

I have had this book here to read forever and still haven't got around to it! I really must at some point and time!

Elena said...

I haven't managed to read this one although I really like McKinley's books.

I might give it another try though.

My favorite of her books is still The Blue Sword.

Nymeth said...

I've seen some very mixed reviews too, but the fact that you liked it so much is encouraging, since we so often like the same books. I think I'll give it a try.

Cath said...

I'd rush out to buy a sequel too and was really disappointed to hear that it was rather unlikely. I loved the book to bits and really must read it again sometime.

Darla D said...

Oh, I'd be in for the sequel too. I loved this one - except for the fact that it had me craving pastry for days after I finished reading it.
:-p

Melody said...

Indeed I'd read some mixed reviews on this book, but still I'd give it a try. ;)

mariel said...

Hmm, interesting...

Ladytink_534 said...

I did like this one even if my review made it sound like I didn't. I'd rush right out to read the next one if she wrote it!

jennysbooks said...

Oh, I desperately want her to write a sequel. I read this book a few years ago on a camping trip - I always use camping trips to curl up in a corner and read. :)