Saturday, March 14, 2009


Rating : 5.0/5
Number of Pages : 144
Series : #6 Black Jewels Series
Format : eBook, Dark Fantasy
Reason for Reading : 666 Challenge, to continue with the series

Hell's fire. Mother Night and may the Darkness be merciful! Anne Bishop is back with another Black Jewels installment. For this one it helps to have read The Invisible Ring beforehand as you learn more about what happened to Jared and Lia after the novel finished. In this episode we meet new character Lady Cassidy who is a light jeweled Queen who has been rejected by her entire court. Reeling from that she is asked by Daemon and Jaenelle to go to Dena Nehele which has been ruined by Dorothea's cruel pet Queens. There she needs to teach the Warlords protocol and bring back a sense of the land.

She first meets Lia and Jared's descendant Theran who does not realise that Jaenelle is Witch and has never met Kindred before. He only sees Cassidy's plain exterior and cannot see the woman beneath. Once she reaches Dena Nehele she meets Grey. He is Theran's cousin who is damaged from being tortured for years by people who believed him to be Theran. Together they must work together and hope that they can restore the realm and also uncover the hidden treasure left by Lia.

Interwoven in the plot are segments with Daemon, Jaenelle, Lucivar and Saetan. Deamon has problems with another woman trying to gain his favours which brings out the worst in Saetan. It leads him into the Twisted Kingdom and only his family can rescue him. One of the other great parts of the plot is the introduction of Kindred Sceltie Vae who keeps Theran and the other "follosh male sheep" in line.

One of the best in the series, definitely on a par with the first three. I read that she is already working on the follow up which I really hope is true. I really liked Cassidy and Grey, it was fun to spend some time with the lighter jewels. Fingers crossed there will be many more in the series.

Other Reviews:

8 comments:

Elena said...

You've got that right! Here's hoping that she is writing another in the series.

I'm linking your review from mine.

Marg said...

I still haven't read Tangled Web!

Nymeth said...

I was going all "oh no, different characters", but I see that the old ones are there too. I still haven't read The Invisible Ring or Tangled Webs, but I will, and then this.

mariel said...

Oooooooooh! Sounds great. I'll start reading the Invisible Ring soon then!

samantha.1020 said...

I've got this series on my radar as they sound good...dark...but good. Great review!

Melody said...

A new Black Jewels book! I need to get to this series fast! ;)

Kailana said...

I am still stalled back on the third book in this series! I should try and at least read the third one soonish... It has been a really long time since I read book one and two!

Cath said...

I just got the first book, Daughter of the Blood, to read for Carl's next challenge. Can't wait, I've heard *so* much about this series!