Monday, March 16, 2009

Rating : 3.5/5
Number of Pages : 160
Series : #3 The Sandman
Format : Graphic Novel
Reason for Reading : The Dream King Challenge, to continue with the series

The third installment in the hugely successful Sandman series sees a departure from the main plot arc. Instead it is four short stories that all involve Dream in some way. The first is "Calliope", a story about a muse who was once the lover of Dream and the mother of his child who has been trapped by a human to help him write more. She calls for help but it seems Dream himself has been imprisoned and cannot help her. The second tale is "Dream of a Thousand Cats" where a single cat is trying to get 1000 cats to dream the same dream at the same time. Once cats ruled the world and hunted humans as their playthings. Humans changed the world by all dreaming at the same time and the cats want to change things back to their proper order.

The third tale is "A Midsummer Night's Dream" illustrated by Charles Vess. It tells a tale of the first performance of Shakespeare's play in front of a very unusual audience consisting of the fairy folk from the tale on their last trip to our realm. The final story is "Facade" about Element Girl who just wants to die. She is a superhero after entering a pyrimid and being blessed with gifts. She sees it more as a curse setting her apart from everyone else. She has to make faces for herself but they don't stay for long meaning she is seen as a monster by others.

My favourite story was "Dream of a Thousand Cats". It was a great idea that humans changed the world and all concept of the world by dreaming the same dream at the same time. I also really enjoyed Facade and the welcome return of Death, another of the Endless. I look forward to reading more and getting back to the main plot arc.


Other Reviews:
Debi : Nothing of Importance

5 comments:

Shauna said...

Sandman is such an amazing read! I love Neil Gaiman's writing!

And I agree, "Dream of a Thousand Cats" was a fantastic idea.

Nymeth said...

A Dream of a Thousand Cats and A Midsummer's Night Dream are my favourites. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Kailana said...

I read the first book in this series and was not enthralled enough to continue on... Maybe someday!

Debi said...

I'm with you...I enjoyed this book, but I'm ready to get back to the main story too. :)

Ladytink_534 said...

I haven't read this yet but I'd really like to before too much longer.