Sunday, March 08, 2009

Rating : 4.0/5
Number of Pages : 183
Series : Rock 'N' Roll Fairy Tale
Format : Fairy Tale Novel
Reason for Reading : 999 Challenge

A modern re-telling of the Pied Piper of Hamelin that mixes the world of fairy with our own putting a new twist on an old story. Calliehas strict parents and is sure she will never be able to convince them to let her go and see ouring rock band Brass Rat. She manages to get a backstage pass to write an article on the band for her school magazine and it turns out her parents are actually fans of the band too. So Callie goes with her parents and annoying younger brother in tow. She overhears an arguement and some things she can't explain raising her suspicions of the band who seem to have been around a lot longer than their looks and physical ages imply.

The next night is Halloween and Callie stays home to write her article while everyone else is out trick or treating. Her parents rush home to find Callie is the only child left in the whole town. Callie starts to put the peices together and realises that the flute player from the band is the Pied Piper and as he was not able to colelct his money for the concert he has taken the souls of the children instead. She must now try to find a way to bring them all back, break an ancient curse and find her lost brother.

Lots of fun, Jane Yolen and her son Adam Stemple make a great writing team. They even included full song lyrics of Brass Rats songs at the end. I really liked Callie and like all the best fairy tales there is a bitter sweet ending and not quite a happily ever after for everyone concerned. I will definitely be reading Troll Bridge by the authors soon.

7 comments:

Nymeth said...

I was actually thinking I need to get Troll Bridge earlier today! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Marg said...

Having just read a Jane Yolen book and really enjoyed it, I have now added this one to my TBR list as well.

Melody said...

I need to read another book by Jane Yolen! :D

Kim L said...

This sounds like a lot of fun! I love a good fairy tale retelling, especially in a modern setting.

Lightheaded said...

Oooh, I think I'll love this one too!

Kailana said...

Never heard of this before! Looks like something worth checking out!

Darla D said...

I have this one sitting on my shelf at home, but somehow I haven't gotten around to it yet. I'd better remedy that soon!