Tuesday, March 17, 2009


Rating : 4.5/5
Number of Pages : 198
Format : Teenage Fiction Novel
Reason for Reading : 999 Challenge

Peter is a wood cutter who lives with his father Tomas. They are fairly nomadic travelling from town to town and never really settling or being accepted. His mother died giving birth to him and he has been raised by his alcoholic father. He keeps hidden a box from Peter that he is not allowed to open or even touch. When they move to the villiage of Chust which houses no more than 200 people strange things start to happen. People are being killed along with animals and they are smeared with blood.

Peter starts to put the peices together trying to protect his girl Agnes. With the arrival of a group of gypsies more of the pieces slot into place and it turns out the town is being plagued by vampires. These are not your sterotypical vampires, but the old legends where they are more like zombies with none of the charm and swagger of todays popular urban fantasy types. Peter is able to slow them down by garlic, throwing millet seeds at them (they have to stop and pick them all up) and giving them charocoal (they have to write with it until it is all gone). These vampires (or hostages as they are referred to) seem to have greater than usual power leading them to believe the Shadow Queen has returned. It is up to Peter to figure out the meaning behind the song the Miorita and save the villiage.

This was such a great book. It looks at the origins of the vampire mythology and is set in Eastern Europe. Lots of scary moments and fantastic storytelling. Suited to anyone who loves vampires, teen fiction, mythology or a good story. I will definitely be reading more of Sedgwick's books in the near future.

11 comments:

jehara said...

that sounds very intriguing. i love me a good vampire story.

Bart's Bookshelf said...

I started reading Sedgwick last year and I've not read one I've not enjoyed yet.

I really liked this one when I read it, the atmosphere he manages to create, just wraps itself around you!

Nymeth said...

This sounds amazing, and I don't think I'd heard of it before. One to keep in mind for the next RIP.

Kailana said...

Sounds like a good book! I have read a couple others by him, but it has been a while. At least my library has this one. With the Lynne Ewing books, they have like all of them except for the first one!

Amy said...

I don't think I ever heard of this before, but it sounds fantastic!

Alice Teh said...

This one sounds good!

Lightheaded said...

I've read a book by Sedgwick before (the title escapes me but it's the one with a sequel, The Dark Flight Down or something). It was an enjoyable though quite unpleasant trip to a dark story teeming with atmosphere!

I'm still looking for the sequel and now I have this to add to my list :)

Debi said...

Wow! I've never heard of this book before, but it sounds wonderful! And I'm not really a huge vampire fan. (Don't have anything against them, mind you, but I don't search out vampire stories either.) This one, however, I will be looking for!

Ladytink_534 said...

Neat! Well, I prefer "the charm and swagger" vampires but this does sound like an interesting read anyway.

samantha.1020 said...

I do love a good vampire novel and this one sounds right up my alley. Great review and I'm adding this one to my TBR list! Thanks :)

tanabata said...

I hadn't heard of this one but it sounds really good. I do have something by Sedgwick around here somewhere that I haven't read yet ... ok I just looked, it's The Book of Dead Days. Adding this one to the list.