Monday, March 30, 2009

Iceland - Day One

We are back from Iceland nad had a fantastic time! I will be putting up pictures from our three days to give you an idea of what we did. We flew out on Thursday night and got to our room around 1:30am so went straight to bed. On Friday morning we got up and had a nice continental breakfast before going out to explore Reykjavík city centre. The photo below is of us in our tiny room where we only spent time sleeping.


This photo is of one of the mountains we walked past on the way into Reykjavík. None of them were very high and they all seemed to plateau out on the top like the one below.


This is me sporting my new hat complete with cat ears. It has a scarf attached with mittens (see photos from day 3 for a better look). I got any strange looks wearing it, but people didn't tend to forget me at least!


There was lots of amazing grafitti around the town. This is just one section. It was made to look like a moutain and the white on top sparkled in the sun. There were lots of different styles, bt it was the tree and the roots that caught my attention on this one.


We spent the afternoon horse riding. Iceland has native horses that have not been bred with others from different countries. They were beautiful, gentle beasts (no problems with walking behind as they didn't kick at all). Very shaggy and built for the cold weather. They were smaller than European horses and they have a fifth gait between walking and trotting called tölt. They were a pleasure to ride and I was told I sat very well and should go back for the advanced experience with lots of faster riding. Sadly we didn't have time but if we go back I will definitely give it a go.

The photo below is Alex with his horse. He had never been horse riding before and was a little nervous. His horse was choosen as it was quite slow although at one point it did take off really fast and his feet fell out the stirrups. He said if it hadn't stopped when it did he would have fallen out!

My horse was called Kevla (not sure on the spelling but that is how it sounded). She was a lovely fiesty ride and I really hope to take some proper lessons if I can find somewhere not too expensive.

Here is a close up of Kevla. As you can see it was snowing that day and it was so beautiful. The landscape is very barren with very few trees (only those imported from Serbia I think) and very few wildlife. We rode throgh a lava field which was quite rocky.



In the evening we went on a Quest for the Northern Lights. You need just the right weather conditions and we did manage to spend about an hour observing them play across the sky about an hours drive from the town. They were not as impressive as the photo below and were impossible to take a picture of on my camera, but stunning none-the-less. By the time we got back we were exhausted and went straight to bed.






15 comments:

samantha.1020 said...

Wow! It looks like you had a ton of fun. These were great pictures and thanks for sharing :)

Chris said...

Loved this post Rhinoa :) Looks like y'all had fun! I love your little outfit that you got :) And those horses are awesome! They look different though...are they dwarf horses?

Kailana said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun!

mariel said...

How lovely! Looking forward to seeing the rest of your pictures.

Nice ears!

Melody said...

Oh wow! The pics are beautiful! Sounds like you guys had fun! Now I can't wait to see the rest! :)

Kim L said...

Wow I am glad you had such a fun time on your vacation! That is really awesome that you got to see the Northern Lights! I have seen them a few times (one of the nice things about Minnesota) and they are so beautiful. Definitely worth it to take the time and see them.

And I love the hat. It seems to fit your style and personality perfectly. :-)

Darla D said...

I love the hat, too - very cute! And great pics. I'm so glad you had a fun time together. I've never seen the northern lights - one of these days, maybe! I'm glad you got to. :-)

jehara said...

your hat is too cute!!! i used to have a hat with cat ears. i lost it years ago. sounds like your trip was a blast. i love the picture of the northern lights. so pretty!

tanabata said...

It sounds like you had a fabulous time! I really want to go to Northern Canada to see the Northern Lights someday.

mee said...

I have a similar outfit like yours. The jacket has bear ears on its hood and bear paws/mittens come with it. Very cute ;). Would love to see Northern Lights someday.

~Mee

Alice Teh said...

You and Alex are a lovely couple! Love the pics! Now I want to go Iceland... :D

Nymeth said...

Now I want to go to Iceland more than ever! The horses are beautiful, and how cool that you got to see Northern Lights! Love your cat hat, btw :D

Susan said...

I'm with Nymeth, i've wanted to go to Iceland ever since it became fashionable to go for long weekends from England while I was there. I can live vicariously through you in this post! I still really want to go. Thanks so much for sharing. I love the story of the horses (I'd be like Alex, I have only ridden twice in my life), and your cat hat is tooo cute!!! lol I'm glad you had such a good time. Even here in Ottawa, if you go out in the countryside in spring nights (as late as May) occasionally you can see the Northern lights - nothing like what Iceland or northern Canada gets, but a glimpse anyway of how beautiful and stunning and a little bit eerie those lights are.

DesLily said...

wow.. it sure looks like you had a fabulous time!! thanks for posting pics !

Ladytink_534 said...

Love the pics (especially of the horses!). Looks like you had lots of fun! Cute hat btw :)