Saturday, February 14, 2009

Snow!

I'm about 5 or 6 book reviews behind plus I have seen two films at the cinema so far this month, but what the hey. I thought I would put up some photos from the snow we had a couple of weeks ago instead. It's the thickest snow we have had in the UK in 18 years and my husband got snowed in to work for 3 days and couldn't make it home which sucked. These photos were taken on my mobile phone camera:

The view from our front window. As you can see cars were not going anywhere that day :


This is the view out from our kitchen window where the snow looked really pretty on the trees.


My mother-in-law got Morgaine a cat lead (it's far too small for Merlin, he's a giant cat despite being the same age as Morgaine bless) so I thought I would try it out and see what she thought of the snow. It was actually deeper than she is tall, but as she is light she didn't sink too much luckily or I may have lost her. You can get an idea of the depth looking at the water pipe and the red is out back door step which is about 30cm tall. She was not too amused by the snow but had a better time than Merlin who ran straight back in the house wuss!


Here is a photo of me that I asked a random stranger to take. It took me ages to build that snowman as it was really hard to puch his body and make it bigger by myself. He had a carrot nose, fern arms and he borrowed a hat and scarf from me for the day.

The best thing about it was meeting a lot of my neighbours for the first time. Everyone was out in the snow building snowmen and having snowball fights. I played with lots of the young children and did some excellent fake falls getting very cold when they managed to hit me with snowballs! I live in a very mixed race area and we are one of the few white couples in the area and it was great to get out there and mix with many different people from different backgrounds and cultures. Sadly Alex missed it as he was stuck at work, but I hope people stay friendly.

12 comments:

Darla D said...

Ooh, love the pics! You are lucky - the only snow we got here this winter came while we were away on our ski trip, ironically. I'm glad you had so much fun - hope everyone stays friendly!

Nymeth said...

So much snow! I wish it'd happened last year :P We had some snow here too in January, but not nearly as much. Morgaine is a brave kitty :D And I love your snowman. How cool that you got to meet your neighbours! I hope they stay friendly.

Chris said...

That is so gorgeous!!! I've never seen snow like that here. I need to come visit :)

tanabata said...

Love those pics, and your snowman! Looks like so much fun! :P

Alice Teh said...

Your mobile phone takes very good pictures! I love winter pics.

katrina said...

The snow was great, I got to stay at home for 2 days. Although as much fun as it was to play in it was a nightmare when I tried to walk into town in. More expected on Wednesday apparently!

mariel said...

Dammit! I'm only a couple of hours away and we hardly had any snow!!

Ladytink_534 said...

It got a little cold here over the past few weeks but now its really warm again! I can't even imagine what my cat would think about snow lol :)

Melody said...

I love looking at snow pictures! I always tell my best friend to share them with me whenever they've storm there because we've none of those here!

Take care and stay warm!

jehara said...

your kitty in the snow is my favorite picture. she's so cute! i have never seen a cat on a leash. very adorable. glad you had fun in the snow. :)

Kailana said...

Sometimes I wish I lived in a place where snow was not such a common occurance so I could still love it! I used to love snow, but I just get so tired of shoveling it and how people freak out and drive like idiots when we get a few flakes! I am glad you enjoyed it!

Susan said...

I'm with Kailana, though we don't have as much as last year, after 2 months of looking at white stuff, I want it gone! I love your photos just because I know it's you and it's in England! Cool snowman, by the way, and really great you got to meet your neighbors - and kitty got to explore. Merlin. Great name for a cat!