Monday, February 02, 2009

January Films



Director : Edward Zwick
Genre : War Film, Drama
Rating : 3.0/5

Based on the true story of the Bielski brothers who are Jewish living in Nazi-occupied Eastern Europe. Their family are killed along with most of their friends and they flee to the forest. Tuvia (Daniel Craig), Zus (Liev Schreiber) and Asael (Jamie Bell) need to keep their wits about them if they are to survive detection, capture and ultimately death. The problem is that other Jewish refugees enter the forest and find them seeking shelter and aid. Tuvia becomes something of a local legend people flock to, but his competitive brother Zus thinks they are attracting too much attention and leaves to fight with the Communists against the Nazi's.

It's not the type of film I would usualy watch. I did enjoy it and was glad of the comic relief they were able to fit in amid the fighting and hardships suffered by the Jews. Otherwise I think it would have been too much. I was interested that they put up what happened to the brothers after the war during the end credits and were able to say roughly how many people they saved. It's always interesting to see unlikely heros (they murder and steal to survive).

Director : Iain Softley
Genre : Fantasy
Rating : 4.0/5

Mo (Brandon Fraser) is a silvertongue who when he reads a book aloud the characters appear from the book. A side effect is that for every character that leaves a book, someone must enter it. He doesn't realise his gifts until one day his wife is taken into Inkheart which he was reading to her and the villian Capricorn (Andy Serkis) and fire juggler Dustfinger (Paul Bettany) are released. Years later when Mo's daughter Meggie (Eliza Bennett) is in her early teens Capricorn comes looking for Mo to read riches out of books for him. Dustfinger must choose whether he will help or hinder Mo as he tries to find a way to set the world to rights and get back his wife.

I knew I would like this film but was not prepared for just how much. I had a crush on Paul Bettany before, but seeing him topless doing fire poi made it far bigger! I am really looking forward to reading the book and I hope they make the others in the series into films too.



Director : Catherine Hardwicke
Genre : Fantasy, Teen Angst
Rating : 3.5/5

I think most people know the story by now but just in case you have been living under a rock... Bella (Kristen Stewart) moves in with her dad when her mother and her new husband go on tour. At school she finds a crowd to get along with but notices a strange group of people on the outskirts. Theya re all beautiful and are all the adopted children in the Cullen family. She is particualrly drawn to Edward (Robert Pattinson) who saves her life one day in the school yard when she is nearly hit by a car. From there she tried to figure out how he got to her so fast and it is revealed that he is a vampire.

I liked the film, but only afterwards thinking back on it and listening to the soundtrack I think it will realy grow on me the more I watch it. Bella, Edward and Jacob (Taylor Lautner) were great as were Rosalie and Esme. The others of the Cullen family didn't quite feel right to me (especially Alice), but hopefully they will grow on me when they make the next film. James and Victoria were great and I look forward to seeing what the new director will do with New Moon.

Director : Danny Boyle
Genre : Indian Drama
Rating : 4.5/5

A lad from the slums of Mumbai grows up to be a contestant on the Indian Who Wants to be a Millionaire. Somehow he gets all the questions right up until the last question when the show is stopped running out of time. It is due to continue the following day, but Jamal Malik (Dev Patel) is hauled off to jail to be questioned and tortured to find out how someone of his background could possibly know all the answers. From here begins a journey from his childhood to the present day telling the story of his life along with his brother Salim (Madhur Mittal) and the girl he loves Latika (Freida Pinto).

This is a fantastic film, one of the best I have watched in a while. Not always very pleasant to watch, it is realistic with a brilliant soundtrack. The three sets of actors playing each of the three main characters are all perfect in their roles and I will definitely be watching this again. Highly highly recommended to all.


Director : David Wain
Genre : Comedy
Rating : 3.0/5

Wheeler (Seann William Scott) and Danny (Paul Rudd) work together selling Minotaur drinks to school kids. They are trying to get them to stay off drugs by promoting their substitute! Danny hates his life in contrast to Wheeler who loves it, sleeping with lots of different women and generally being obnoxious. Danny's girlfriend and lawyer (Elizabeth Banks) finally has enough of his whining and dumps him causing him to loose the plot and get them both arrested at a school. Instead of jail time they are offered 150 hoursin a big brother programme looking after Augie Farks (Christopher Mintz-Plasse) who is ito live action role play and wears a cape and Ronnie Shields (Bobb'e J. Thompson) a kid with major attitude and language issues. Would jail not have bene easier?!?

A stupid film that I enjoyed more than I thought I would. It's typical dude humour but what sets it apart is Augie and all the LARP stuff which was legendary. My husband is into D&D and LARP so it really struck a chord with me.

Director : Darren Aronofsky
Genre : Drama
Rating : 2.5/5

Randy the Ram (Mickey Rouke) is a professional wrestler who began around 20 years ago. He is battered and bruised wearing a hearding aid and glasses from the countless beatings inthe ring. He is one of the best in the business still though. He has an awakening when after one match he has a heart attack needing bypass surgery. The doctor tells him he can't wrestle again and must take things easy. He does try. He attempts a relationship with veteren stripper Cassidy (Marisa Tomei) as well as trying to patch things up with his neglected daughter Stephanie (Evan Rachel Wood). Ultimately though can he resist all he knows how to do.

I thought this was just a brutal film. It didn't stop hitting you. Mickey Roukedoes a fine job of playing Randy, but it was just all a bit much for me. Plus I really didn't like the ending.

3 comments:

Nymeth said...

I'm glad you enjoyed Inkheart. I've seen some mixed reviews of that one...apparently it's quite different from the book, so I guess it's good to watch it first. I think I'll wait until the details of the book are a bit less clear in my mind. One I really look forward to watching is Slumdog Millionaire. It sounds great.

mariel said...

Crikey woman, you watched a lot of films last week! Twilight is definitely a grower, but then I'd know considering how many times I have seen it. Oh the shame...

Ladytink_534 said...

I've only seen Twilight (which I loved) but Inkheart is high on my list. I think I may go see Coraline first though :)