Wednesday, February 04, 2009


Rating : 4.0/5
Number of Pages : 192
Series : #1 The Dreaming
Format : Manga
Reason for Reading : 999 Challenge, alternative for Manga Challenge

The first in a series of 3 mangas about twin sisters Amber and Jeanie. They start at a boarding school run by their aunt in the Australian Bushlands which has many secrets. The Vice Principal is against twins due to a superstition not yet revealed, so they have to pretend to be sisters rather than twins. There is a mysterious sealed room guarded by a creepy picture and girls keep going missing wandering out into the Bush for no explicable reason. There is no trace of the missing girls and it is a complete mystery what is causing them to disappear.

The twins start having indentical nightmares where they are in the Bush surrounded by other people and the trees start dripping blood. They are dressed in what looks to be Victorian dresses and both keep waking at the same place each night. Amber is already superstitious and expects the worst and Jeanie is left trying to piece everything together. Things get even stranger when they discover a series of Victorian paintings around the school by an ex pupil and the women in it are seem to be going more insane in each successive painting.

Spooky, creepy and beautifully drawn I definitely recommend this series. I am hooked and will definitely be continuing the adventure very soon. It's nice to find a short manga series as most of the others around seem to just keep on going. There is also a fun bonus short story by Sarah Ferrick at the end.

3 comments:

Debi said...

Oooh, I really like the sound of this! I so hope I can find it! Thanks Rhinoa...without you, I wouldn't have a clue which Manga to try. :)

Nymeth said...

The cover alone would have tempted me, but after your review, I'm sold! And I'm with you on finding a short Manga series...the fact that some of them are so long can be a bit daunting.

tanabata said...

Oh this does sound fun. I've added it to my wishlist.