Saturday, February 28, 2009

Cry Wolf - Patricia Briggs


Rating : 4.5/5
Number of Pages : 310
Series : #1 Alpha and Omega
Format : Urban Fantasy Novel
Reason for Reading : 999 Challenge, I love Patricia Briggs!

Following on from the short story in the collection On The Prowl, Charles and Anna are getting to know each other. They are both werewolves but Anna has a complicated past of abuse and not being taught properly what it is to be a werewolf and a rare Omega (a wolf that can calm others and does not have to do the bidding of her Alpha like others in the pack). Charles is the son of the Marrock (leader of all the werewolves in North America) and he has spent a lot of time alone. He had given up hope of ever meeting his mate and very surprised to be so strongly drawn to Anna so quickly.

When Charles takes Anna to live with him Anna must meet a whole new group of werewolves and learn to adapt to sharing her space. She must also learn what it is to be intimate with another without it being forced. Complicating matters Charles is the enforcer for his father and is sent to locate one or more werewolves that are killing people in their territory. It could be a rogue werewolf or it could be a bigger plot against the Marrock who wants to bring werewolves out of the closet. They must learn to trust each other quickly or it could mean the end of one or both of their lives.

I loved this book, it was even better than I expected. Anna and Charles are both great characters who you empathise with and it was good to see some other familiar names and faces from her Mercy Thompson series. There were some great twists and turns and a few heart wrenching moments especially near the end when the story plays out. I can't wait for book two in the series to come out.

6 comments:

Kailana said...

Wasn't it great? I am so excited that this series started out so well because it means two books a year to look forward to instead of just one!

Elena said...

I bought the first of her other urban fantasy series, and I've been seeing this one in the bookstore. Once I've read the other one, I think I'll end up buying this. You're adding to my drool/must buy list regularly.

samantha.1020 said...

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed this as I've got it on my shelves. I'm trying to catch up on the Mercy series before I try this one. Great review!

Melody said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this book, Rhinoa. I've heard many good things about this book. I need to read it soon! ;)

Ladytink_534 said...

I loved this one too! I can't wait to read the next one :)

Elena said...

I've linked your review from mine, and you're absolutely right, this was a great book.