Saturday, February 28, 2009

Girl Meets Boy - Ali Smith


Rating : 4.0/5
Number of Pages : 164
Series : Canongate Myth Series
Format : Novel
Reason for Reading : 999 Challenge

A re-telling of Ovid's Iphis legend from Metamorphoses. It is one of the few collections in the novel to have a happier ending luckily. This version alternates between sisters Anthea and Imogen (Midge). Their mother left when they were young and they were raised by their father and grand parents. Anthea is a free spirit who starts work at the advertising agency Imogen works at, but doesn't like being constrained to her role there despite being reminded she is on a good wage.

Imogen on the other hand follows the crowd. She runs with the men there who are extremely sexist, homophobic and rude. They are always trying to get her drunk and she is barely eating, disappearing into herself. Things change for both sisters for the better when Anthea falls in love with a graffiti artist who is a girl who looks like a boy. Imogen has to deal with her sister being gay amd find her own way in life at the same time.

This was a beautiful story. I adored it so much and have been telling everyone I know to read it. It has themost unusual and moving sex scene I think I have ever read in a novel. The prose is beautiful, a sort of stream of consciousness of the thoughts of the two sisters. It challenges gender stereotypes with the masculine being found beautiful in women and vice versa. It's part of the wonderful Canongate Myth series and I wil definitely be reading more in the series and by Ali Smith.

3 comments:

Marg said...

For a while there I was reading my way through the Canongate myths series but I haven't read one for a while now!

Kailana said...

I read one of the books in the series... I think I am going to read this one, though. Off to see if the library has it!

Nymeth said...

I have this on my tbr pile...I was saving it for the next Once Upon a Time Challenge, but after your review I'm really not sure if I can wait any longer.