Friday, February 06, 2009

The Book of Job - The Bible


Rating : 3.0/5
Number of Pages : 30
Format : Non Fiction
Reason for Reading : Guardian 100 Greatest Books Challenge

Job is a follower of God. He is a wealthy man and an example to the local people. Like many at the time hebelieved his blessings were a direct result of his good deeds. Satan comes and takes everything away from him including his livestock, children and health, causing him to become depressed and question himself and God.

Job's friends (Eliphaz the Temanite, Bilad the Shuhite and Zphar the Namathite) try to make him feel better, but end up making him feel even worse by telling him God rewards the righteous and punnishes sinners. He keeps his faith until suddenly God appaears and talks to him directly. He reminds Job that he cannot understand the knowledge and wisdom of God and he should stop trying to!

Job learns to trust God again fully. This is the ultimate book of patience and faith. It has been so long since I have sat down and read any of the Bible. It was an interesting read and is thought by many to be the most relevant and well written of the book. I am not sure I agree yet, but I am sure I will go back and read more books at some point.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

That's interesting. I just finished reading the book of Job as part of my goal to read the whole Bible. And I thought it was interesting that God got kinda mad at Job's friends for telling him that he must have done something really wrong for him to be "punished" when in fact that wasn't the case. God basically told them they didn't know what they were talking about and to stop it. It taught me a lesson that I can't sit around trying to figure out why why why and instead just trust him. Thanks for the post!

Alice Teh said...

I echo Amanda's views above. Thanks for the review!