Saturday, February 21, 2009

Rating : 2.5/5
Number of Pages : 210
Format : Short Story Anthology, Fiction
Reason for Reading : Library Discussion Group, 999 Challenge

A collection of short stories subtitles "Stories of Flo and Rose". They are for the most part in chronological order and tell of different periods of Rose's life growing up in Canada. Flo is her stepmother and Rose is brought up in a poor region before flushing toilets and televisions were around. She is a bright child and seems to want to move far away from her upbringing and forge her own life.

The tale follws her as she grows up and moves to Toronto. She gets a scholorship to go to college and has a mostly unsatisfactory relationship with Patrick followed by a 10 year marriage resulting in their daughter. He fantasises about her poor background without really realising where she comes from and calls her his "Beggar Maid". Rose is restles and wants to keep moving and eventually the marriage breaks down. She spends some time in acting and on the radio before becoming a teacher.

This was an itneresting collection and my first of Munro's. I know she is well regarded as a short story author, but I wouldn't recommend this collection to someone new to her work. I felt that she had much better writing in her, but am intrigued to read more in the future. There wasn't much about Flo in the collection despite the subtitle, btu I did warm to both her and Rose. All in all middle of the road from an author I expected more of.

2 comments:

Nymeth said...

I've only read a few of Munro's short stories, but I enjoyed them a lot. Someone said recently that it's a better idea to read her stories every now and then than to read a whole collection back to back.

Ladytink_534 said...

I've never heard of this author before. I hope you enjoy others by her!