Monday, January 26, 2009

On the Prowl - Various


Rating : 4.5/5
Number of Pages : 341
Format : Teenage Fiction
Reason for Reading : 999 Challenge, to read some more stories by my favourite authors

This collection consists of four short stories "of dark passion and secrets".

Alpha and Omega - Patricia Briggs
Anna is an abused, submissive werewolf until she meets the Marrok's son Charles who shows up to investigate the goings on of her pack. He tells her she is an Omega who helps other werewolves around her be peaceful and contol their wolf. It becomes a race to save Anna from her pack and understand exactly what is going on and why they are behaving the way they are.

Inhuman - Eileen Wilks
Kai has a gift. She is a kind of telepath who sees the thoughts and moods of others as colours and is able to change their will. Her best friend is Nathan who is not human, but she is not sure exactly what he is yet. Bodies of the gifted start appearing with all of their blood drained and it is up to Nathan to find the killer and stop them. The only problem is the killer is now after Kai as well.

Buying Trouble - Karen Chance
Claire is a projective null on the run from her family who tried to sell her to the Light Fey. At work in an auction house for rare magical items one of the Fey plus her cousin turn up and it turns out she is one of the items up for sale. She ends up in Fairie and as her feelings spiral out of control she discovers a whole other side to herself.

Mona Lisa Betwining - Sunny
Mona Lisa is a monere Queen of mixed blood being part human. She begins the story as Amber's lover basking in the moonlight. She is summoned to a council of the Queen's to account for the death of Mona Louisa (another Queen) at her hands. There she meets demon dead Lucinda and also a secret inside herself that is totally unexpected.

I loved all of these tales and it's so hard to pick a favourite. Eileen Wilks was the only new author to me and I will definitely be reading more in her Lupi series. I can't wait to read Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs and get properly stuck in to Sunny's Monere series this year.

3 comments:

Kailana said...

I probably should have read all the stories in this anthology, but I only read Patricia Briggs. Maybe I will remedy that...

Ladytink_534 said...

I really liked this one but Briggs is the only one I've read so far.

samantha.1020 said...

I have this one on my shelves but haven't picked it up yet. I am waiting until I catch up with Briggs series before reading this one and starting her new series. Glad to see you enjoyed it though!