Thursday, January 01, 2009


Rating : 3.5/5
Number of Pages : 176
Series : #1 Hatter M Series
Format : Graphic Novel
Reason for Reading : 999 Challenge, I loved the first two books in the series

This is a collection of four comics to make up this graphic novel which follows Hatter Madigan (renamed by Lewis Carroll as the Mad Hatter) in his search on earth for Princess Alyss. It covers Hatter Madigan searching through different times on earth and different countries after he became seperated from Alyss in the Pool of Tears. He begins his journey in Paris, France 1859 where he follows the glow of imagination to also track down his hat.

When the roads in Paris lead to dead ends and he is being hunted by the law, he uses a pool of water found in a place no water should be to travel to Budapest 1859. Here he finds a young girl with a bright glow of imagination shining from her. She is kidnapped by the evil Baroness Dvonna who wants to take her to her orphanage and drain away her imagination. With the help of reporter Magda Pushikin he sets out to rescue the girl he thinks is Alyss.

It took a little to get into the story as it is mostly Hatter using his fearsome blades to despatch his enemies and would be pursuers. The final chapter, Rage Against The Machine, was by far my favourite. Very dark indeed with fantastic graphics, I couldn't put it down until I completed it. There are some great references to authors and artists and there is an excellent bonus section at the back with sample characters drawings, answers to questions about topics such as Hatter's Hat and how the two authors came together to write the series. Highly recomended to fans of the novels and a great introduction for those who have not yet read them.

6 comments:

Literary Feline said...

I love the cover you posted. My husband wants to know if you have to have read the books by Lewis Carroll first to fully appreciate it.

Beth Fehlbaum, Author said...

I noticed you participate in many reading challenges. I hope to see my novel, Courage in Patience, on some 2009 challenge lists! Thanks for allowing me to drop in on your blog. Happy New Year!
Beth Fehlbaum, author
Courage in Patience, a story of hope for those who have endured abuse
http://courageinpatience.blogspot.com
Ch. 1 is online!

mariel said...

Hatter is my favourite character in this series, so I might give this a try! Thanks, great review.

Nymeth said...

I love the sound of this! I really look forward to getting started with this series.

marineko said...

Sounds interesting! The Mad Hatter was one of my favourite characters :D

One of the categories I chose for my 999 challenge will be graphic novels, so I'll be keeping this one in mind.

Ladytink_534 said...

I want this so bad! I love Frank Beddor (thanks to you lol)