Monday, January 26, 2009

Rating : 2.0/5
Number of Pages : 304
Format : Literary Fiction, Play
Reason for Reading : Guardian 100 Greatest Books Challenge

The continuing story of Faust who has made a deal with Mephistopeles (the devil). Together they confuse an Emperor and Faust begins his persuit of Helen of Troy. Mephistopheles takes on different forms to get his way and manipulate those around him, including Faust. There is a change in focus to the Greek myths with a variety of characters like the Sirens, Chiron, Furies, Shinxes, Helen of Troy etc becomming involved.

Faust is an old man by the end of the play and his life eventually runs out. Things are not so easy for Mephistopeles who has put much time and effort into capturing and ensnaring Faust's soul. Heavenly angels appear at the very end and battle Mephistopeles for the soul for which only one side can be triumphant.

It is barely connected to part one and I didn't enjoy this section nearly as much sadly. I missed Faust and Mephistopeles whoa re not in the story very much as Goethe became more concerned with the Greek myths. I love my Greek mythology, but I was more interested in what exploits the two main characters were up to and I feel I missed out here. It seemed much more disjointed and I didn't enjoy the ending.

1 comments:

Nymeth said...

That's really too bad. Part 1 sounded so good! Well, still does :P